Towards the End | Teen Ink

Towards the End

By Itsaneyeopener SILVER, Kingsland, Georgia
Itsaneyeopener SILVER, Kingsland, Georgia

They didn't need us anymore.

They had tried to control the humans, to make them think that they were weaklings compared to them. That there was nothing you could do to escape their fury. Humans were fickle creatures, though. Once one thing didn't please or satisfy them anymore, they went off to the next big thing. It was hard to keep them pleased for a long time, and impossible to make them happy for forever.

7,216, 368, 920 of you humans. You discover science and you suddenly can’t figure out when to stop. Back then, when she and her family, the Olympians, had ruled their portion of the world, humans were wary of what they did. Asked themselves what the consequences would be. But now, they tore forests after forests down, sprayed chemicals on their own citizens, and let the government words coming off their silver tongues cloud their mind.. Granted, humans back then weren't the most admirable of creatures, either. Humans had just fixed some past faults and created new ones. Perfect imperfect creatures.

The goddess rested the flat of her palm on the stone that was about thousands of years old, and smiled to herself as she thought of the millions of times people had grouped together here to fight and compete. In this day and age, nobody fought here anymore. The bright side is however, is that the Olympic Flame was lit here. That was something, Hera thought, using those words to comfort the part of herself that still lived in the glory days. The humans did hold on to something.

Suddenly, she could feel a foreign, unwanted presence near the temple grounds. Her brown eyes darted to the spotted grass field, and saw her husband. Her husband’s posture was stiff and his eyes were narrowed. Ah, hello my dear husband. What is your problem now?

“You weren't at the meeting.” The statement that came from his lips had a clipped tone to it. Hera exhaled loudly and leaned against the broken column.

“Why waste my time talking about something that isn't going to be changed?”

He pursed his lips and went to go walk forward, but the magic around the temple prevented him going any further. “This is my temple, dear husband. There is no walking in.” His eyes narrowed even further at those words.

Then suddenly, Zeus raised an perfectly shaped eyebrow at her. Everything about them was perfect. The humans had envisioned them as what they considered to be perfect, and that was what they were. “So you are going to just accept your fate, then?

She could tell when a comment was meant to cause a fight. Zeus was bored, agitated, and moody. As the years went by and the human race still stayed the same for the most part, his amusement source was dwindling. She didn't care however. As long as he stayed away from mortal women. The human scientists did not need a demigod to experiment on. It was tempting to say a biting comment however. To watch his pale cheeks take a red tone and his hands clench in fists- as if he was stupid enough to hit her on her own temple grounds.

But Hera knew when to just to drop it. If she continued this, they would end up both fighting and the only thing that would be able to stop them would be if the other Olympians stepped in. And Hera hated it when they got involved. They still thought of her as that ‘jealous queen’. It was quite frustrating, when your own family wouldn't realize that you had changed.

Shaking her head, Hera walked off the temple. She could feel the power of the temple leave her, and she almost felt… well, weak. The temple was now her main source of power since so few people worshiped the Greek gods. But… the temple’s power was running out. Each time she visited, every three days exactly, she felt the temple’s power source drop a little. Hera couldn't complain much, however. She was lucky to have a temple, and such a powerful temple one. Many minor gods had faded into nothing since many of them didn't have temples that either lasted, or one was never made for them.

“Come on, my brother and husband. Lets get back to Mount Olympus- I’m sure that Apollo has some story about how he defeated a monster while driving the sun,” Hera then spoke, weariness heavy on her features. She said this with fondness however- Apollo was one of the few gods left that still had it in him to attempt to be happy. Chuckling softly, Zeus vanished them from the temple grounds. A soft cloud of gold dust was left in their wake, but it disappeared before it could even hit the ground.