LIfe Without Hope | Teen Ink

LIfe Without Hope

I’ve always known my parents didn’t love me as much as my younger sister, Emma, and when I was young, I thought it was unfair, but as I got older and matured, I accepted the fact that she was the apple of their eye. One day they said to me “Look Sarah, you and your sister are like generations of iPhones; the newer one is always the better one”.
I cried for days after that, but they didn’t care; all they cared about was their perfect, beloved 2nd daughter. Although, there was one person who cared about me, the one person who treated me like I was worth something. I will always remember the day she moved to town.
Isabella moved into my neighborhood on December 24th. The first day she came to my house, she stood in a powder blue ruffled party dress with shiny silver shoes. When she lifted her eyes from the ground, brushed her bouncy, wavy red curls from her face, I knew in that instant, Isabella was the best friend I had been waiting for my entire life. She said a quick, timid hello to my parents as she gazed at them with her baby blue eyes.
My parents thought she was a perfect match for my sister, saying Isabella was too high-class for me. They were so very wrong. I stifled a sob as I saw my best friend playing tea-time and dolls with my sister. Bella looked slightly bored and glanced at me from time to time. By that time, she knew what my parents thought of me. That all changed when we got to 5th grade, 2 years after she moved to town, when Bella finally stood up to my parents and said “I don’t care about what you will think of me, but Sarah is an amazing person and she is my friend. I am tired of playing with that bratty daughter of yours”. My parents thought it was my fault and gave me all sorts of punishments. Not that I cared, they would have made me do all of those things, even if they didn’t have a reason.
So flash forward to today, Bella and I are still best friends. I am at school, in 4th period: U.S. history. When the bell rang, it startled me and I jumped up in my seat. As I stepped out of the classroom, my sister and her cheerleader squad cornered me, wearing cherry-red lipgloss. She talked while I listened, then walked away. I was a little shaken by what she had said. Bella ran up to me slightly out of breath and asked “Hey...what happened? Why is everyone staring at you?” I looked around, and sure enough people were staring. I hadn’t realized what a commotion my sister and I had caused. I mumbled,
“It’s nothing”. She raised her eyebrow then said,
“Aw, come on, you can tell me!” And so I did.