The Upset | Teen Ink

The Upset

By Jakeg3 BRONZE, Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota
Jakeg3 BRONZE, Inver Grove Heights, Minnesota

The game was close. Michael had sweat dripping everywhere. He could barley feel his arms and his legs felt like noodles. He had butterflies in his stomach. His heart was beating as fast as a jet. All he could hear were the fans screaming and shouting. He didn’t want to let his teammates down, his coaches, and the fans. He came this far upsetting all those teams to make it to this point and he didn’t want his whole season to go down the drain. It was Michael’s senior year and his last to play high school football. Michael finally got his team to the line of scrimmage and his mind went blank, he couldn’t he his teammates telling shouting at him to hike the ball. All he could remember was the high school football practices, the fun times with his teammates, the practices where they had to run up and down the field. When it finally came back to him, he hiked the ball. He threw a deep pass and couldn’t believe what just happened.

Michael Stevenson was an average kid always having the dream to go to the NFL. He always pretended he was quarterback of the Minnesota Vikings. He grew up in Inver Grove Heights, MN. He has always lived there and goes to Simley High school. Michael’s best friend was Carter McJeffries and they have been neighbors ever since they were able to talk. Carter was also’ Michael’s #1 receiver.

Michael was in the locker room getting ready for practice when Carter comes up to him,

“Dude did you hear we are running sprints the whole practice,” said Carter.

“Wow why,” said Michael.

“Apparently some one was mouthing off to coach,”

“Wow,”

“Yeah Dawg

Coach McCoy was screaming as the team was running up and down the field.
“I will make every last one of you guys run until you puke, we have 2 weeks until your first game and all you guys are out of shape and I don’t think you want to be blown out in our first game at home. If you want to be good, you have to work hard.”

The locker room was silent and no one was talking. The only sound being made was the sound of equipment being put on. The team was too nervous to talk. Finally coach McCoy came in to break the silence.
“Richfield is a good team, but we’re better. This is no push over win, you will have to give 110% effort out there. Michael bring them in.’’

“Where my dogs at!”

“Whoa whoa whoa!’’

‘’I cant here you!’’

“Whoa whoa whoa!’’

“Spartans on 3, 1… 2… 3”

“Spartans!”

The score was 24-21 Simley. The game was very close, Michael has been making every pass but same as the Richfield QB. Richfield had the ball, 4th and 7.
The Richfield QB drops back to pass, he looks right and then looks left and all he sees is Richard Wright, defensive end, coming straight at him and sacking him. The game was over soon after that and Simley ended up winning.

9/15/12. Score 0-3. Simley vs. Henry Sibley. It was at Sibley and it was pouring out. The players, fans, and the coaches were all drenched. The field was one big puddle. When you got tackled, water would fly in the air everywhere. Michael would try to throw the ball but it would be to wet to catch it and it got knocked down by rain.

Michael dropped back to pass, he sees no one open except a huge whole to run through. He dodged one guy and ran over another guy to make it into the end zone to make it 7-3 Simley. Nobody scored after that to give Simley a 7-3 victory.

Simely won the next game against Hill Murray. Michael had 2 touchdowns to Carter to win the game 24-10. This makes Simley 3-0 this year. It has been their best start ever but they have St. Thomas in their next game and they haven’t beaten them for 5 years.

Michael walked into the locker room while there was a big discussion going on.

“I think we can beat them,’’ said Baxter who was the running back.

No we can’t, we just got lucky all those times. The chances of us getting another lucky win isn’t very likely,” said John

“Yes we can, this has been our best year in forever. We just have to step up and play a little better than in our other games,” said Michael.

“I guess so,” said John.

Michael was in the zone. He was making pass after pass and didn’t make an incompletion. He got a touchdown pass his first two drives and the score was 14-7. But St. Thomas came straight back with another touchdown to make it 14-14. St. Thomas then scored again with a field goal to make it 17-14. Simley had one last chance to score. The first play Michael got sacked. Then got a 10-yard pass to make it 3rd and 8. He then dropped back to pass, he looked right and then looked left. He saw Carter open but over threw him and got picked off. That was the end of the game, Michael couldn’t forget about it. It was driving him crazy, but he knew he was going to get them back in sections.
Simely won the rest of their games before sections to make their record 7-1, the second best record after St. Thomas who was 8-0. There first section game was against Mahtomedi and Simley had a close game against them.

Mahtomedi got off to a fast start with two quick touchdowns. This could be the end of their whole season but it’s not. Simley came back with a 23- yard touchdown by Baxter Williams and scored again with a 36-yard pass from Michael to Carter. Simley then shut Mahtomedi down for the rest of the game and won the game 23-14. Their next game was against St. Thomas in the section finals to see who goes to state or not. Michael can finally get back at them and beat them.

Simley finally had their chance to get back and upset them. If Simley wins it would be such a big upset. Michael knew he had to step up this game and play an almost perfect game. He couldn’t let his teammates up like he did in the last game. He knew he had to be the star of the game.

Michael started his first drive off with a 17-yard pass to Stevie Johnson but then St. Thomas scored the next two drives with a touchdown and a field goal. Simley then came back with a field goal. With a minute and 30 seconds left, Simley had the ball. They had 74-yards to go until the end zone. It started with a 30-yard pass to Baxter. Then Baxter got a 34 yard run put them on the 10-yard line. With seconds left on the clock, Harry Barnes got the game winning field goal. Simley upset St. Thomas and it was the first time they have beat them for years.

Simley had Elk River first round. They were a good team but not as good as St. Thomas. Simley came into the game knowing they were better than them and they played better than them. Simley crushed Elk River 34-10 and this was the best they have played this whole season. There next game was against Owatonna. They have been good every year and were easily predicted to win.

Simley started the game with Baxter returning the first kickoff of the game for a touchdown. This set a tone for the game. If they won it would be a bigger upset than beating St. Thomas. Simley scored another touchdown to make it 14-0.
But Owatonna came back with 2 touchdowns of their own. At this point no one knew who it was going to be. After the 2 touchdowns Simley answered back with a field goal but Owatonna got a touchdown. Simley didn’t have much time left. Michael huddled them up.

“Alright guys, we don’t have much time left. We need to stay smart and don’t make any dumb mistakes. Break.”

Michael dropped back to pass and sees Stevie open and hits him for 15 yards. 30 seconds left, 40 yards to go, and 2 timeouts. Michael then got a 21-yard run and calls time out. Then Baxter gets a handoff and runs for 7 yards and runs out of bounds. 15 seconds left with 12-yards to go. Michael drops back to pass he doesn’t see anyone so he rolls out and throws the ball away. 8 seconds left about enough time for one play. Michael drops back to pass, he sees carter open in the end zone. Michael throws it up. Carter jumps up and makes a spectacular catch. The game ended and Simley pulls off a huge upset and are going to state finals for the first time ever.

This was a feeling no one has ever had. Simley was getting ready in the locker room and nobody was talking not even saying a word. The whole team was nervous to play Totino Grace. The coaches didn’t even want to talk because they were nervous.

Michael was away from everyone. His arms were shaking, his palms were sweaty, and he had butterflies in his stomach. He never thought he would be in the position he is in right now. After upsetting all those teams and making their biggest run ever in school history. He wanted to be the first Simley quarter back to win state.

The stadium was loud and the loudest game Simley has ever played in.
Simley kicked off first and Totino ran it back to start it off. First possession ended up with Michael throwing a pick. Totino Grace got another touchdown to make it 14-0. Simley’s very next ended up with a punt after there first 3 plays. Totino got there 3rd touchdown to make it 21-0. Simley got shut out in the first half and got destroyed.

Second half began with a kick return by Baxter. This was when the game changed. Simley got another touchdown and field goal. With 20 seconds left and 1 timeout left Simely had the ball. Michael hands the ball of to Baxter. He rips through one tackler then another and another and brings the ball all the way to the 1-yard line. Coach McCoy starts jumping up and down but looks back and sees a yellow flag and his hearts drops. The penalty was holding and got brought back 5 yards from where they started. There was 5 seconds left. Michael had sweat dripping everywhere. He could barley feel his arms and his legs felt like noodles. He had butterflies in his stomach. All he could hear were the fans screaming and shouting. He didn’t want to let his teammates down, his coaches, and the fans. He came this far upsetting all those teams to make it to this point and he didn’t want his whole season to go down the drain. It was Michael’s senior year and his last to play high school football. Michael finally got his team to the line of scrimmage and his mind went blank, he couldn’t hear his teammates telling shouting at him to hike the ball. All he could remember was the high school football practices, the fun times with his teammates, the practices where they had to run up and down the field. When it finally came back to him, he hiked the ball. He threw a high pass to Carter. Carter jumps gets it in his hands but gets it knocked out by the defender. Michael sank to the floor and starts crying like most of his team. His heart was broken and couldn’t believe it. That was it, his whole high school career was over.

Michael ended up playing D1 Football at NDSU (North Dakota State University) with his best friend Carter. They are still united now and hope to make it to the NFL together on the same team.
The End

I love sports
I have a brother and a sister