The Dungeon Master | Teen Ink

The Dungeon Master

September 21, 2009
By UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana
UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana
7 articles 4 photos 19 comments

We stare in wonder as the dice of chance tumble through the air, thrown by the hands of the Dungeon Master. He leads by his own set of rules, eve in our objection, and we must play along. It is this that makes us forget he is often no more certain than we are of what to do, or what lies around the next dim dungeon corner. The dice continue to fall as we silently wait in anticipation. Even his eyes gleam with curiosity, half-hidden behind tangles of dark hair and a facade of omniscience, seen through not by the wielders of simply weapons, but of knowledge. To the rest, he knows them all well, he has been blessed with the gift of intelligence, perhaps similar to that of gods. But, as far as the Dungeon Master is concerned, the only "god" is the dice, cold and random, but almost effortless to manipulate. With a dull thud they hit the bored and roll once more: fate has been cast and, with a slight grin, the Dungeon Master states the terms.

The author's comments:
Anyone who is familiar with the game Dungeons and Dragons should understand what is said here, and perhaps the double meanings each statement holds. The "Dungeon Master" of the game is the ultimate leader, the one who decides what goes and what does not. The game itself has its own set of rules, but the Dungeon Master has permission to manipulate them, with fair warning to other players. The Players Guide also reminds the DM that it is his job to make the game fun, and keep the game going, for the other players rely on him.
However, this poem refers to a person I refer to as "The Dungeon Master", one of my closest friends, and, perhaps, not the only of his kind. This description, I like to think, could be understood by many if they grasp the concept, and people should be able to identify a "Dungeon Master" among their peers.