The Dungeon Master | Teen Ink

The Dungeon Master

By UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana
UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana

We stare in wonder as the dice of chance tumble through the air, thrown by the hands of the Dungeon Master. He leads by his own set of rules, eve in our objection, and we must play along. It is this that makes us forget he is often no more certain than we are of what to do, or what lies around the next dim dungeon corner. The dice continue to fall as we silently wait in anticipation. Even his eyes gleam with curiosity, half-hidden behind tangles of dark hair and a facade of omniscience, seen through not by the wielders of simply weapons, but of knowledge. To the rest, he knows them all well, he has been blessed with the gift of intelligence, perhaps similar to that of gods. But, as far as the Dungeon Master is concerned, the only "god" is the dice, cold and random, but almost effortless to manipulate. With a dull thud they hit the bored and roll once more: fate has been cast and, with a slight grin, the Dungeon Master states the terms.

Anyone who is familiar with the game Dungeons and Dragons should understand what is said here, and perhaps the double meanings each statement holds. The "Dungeon Master" of the game is the ultimate leader, the one who decides what goes and what does not. The game itself has its own set of rules, but the Dungeon Master has permission to manipulate them, with fair warning to other players. The Players Guide also reminds the DM that it is his job to make the game fun, and keep the game going, for the other players rely on him.
However, this poem refers to a person I refer to as "The Dungeon Master", one of my closest friends, and, perhaps, not the only of his kind. This description, I like to think, could be understood by many if they grasp the concept, and people should be able to identify a "Dungeon Master" among their peers.

robinsonc said...
I do like this short story about the game "Dungeons and Dragons". This story is very descriptive on how the concept of the game. Mostly the writting is perfect except a couple of mistakes. I agree with Forever Scornful about needing to determine the characters, plot, setting, ect. I also found board being spelled wrong. I do think you could descibe farther in the rules so people unstand the game more. One other problem is that you started a sentence with ABFONSY in the sentence when it said "But, as far as the Dungeon Master is concerned..." Over all i think this short story is well written and thought out.

UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana
>_< Darn. I did spell it wrong. Heheh, I need to be more careful...

Your writing is fine. There is only one obvious flaw. You're much like me, in that you care about what other people say about your writing. Perhaps it's just something - but you have potential. On that note, don't go off and write a quick story. You have to determine the plot, characters, events, and setting. It takes time, I've only written a few good stories in my time (which I will keep unknown) I too, play dungeons and dragons. My friends and brothers and I have a massive game going on. But that is irrelevant. You took a concept of a game that (and only players know this) is deep and you made it simple. D&D is a hard game to play, but you made it understandable. Kudos to you. However, should you write a story, make it a tale that has good action and adventure. On my last note, I have to give you some constructive criticism. Never spell "board" "bored" Good luck.

potterlight PLATINUM, Cleveland, Ohio

That makes sense

I remember the Dungeons and Dragons show that aired in the 1980's. There was someone called the Dungeon Master too!

UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana
I 'm usually better at describing emotions and thoughts, rather than...rather than actual physical appearances and activities, so I'm VERY glad that you were able to picture it perfectly. Care to rate? =)

UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana
Haha, that's my favorite line, too. Would you like to rate? =)

UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana
That was my goal. ;)

UlteriorMotives SILVER, Hope, Indiana
I'm very honored to receive your comment. The introduction just sorta came to me, and I rolled from there. Care to rate it? =)

j-diddy said...
j-diddy, Littleton, Colorado
wow i rely liked the description! very nice! it almost made me feel like i was a player of this game. i could see every thing in my miind so perfect!

felipe#1 said...
Your story was very descriptive and intresting, it drew us in with the title. My favorite line was {With a dull thud they hit the bored and roll once more: fate has been cast and, with a slight grin, the Dungeon Master states the terms. }

pepe5769 said...
I loved the way you took an every day object like a game and turned it into a story with deep ideas and a plot

nmoye23 said...
This is a very discriptive but complicated piece of writing. It had a very nice introduction. Good Job!