The Egg Drop - An Egg's Point of View | Teen Ink

The Egg Drop - An Egg's Point of View

AUTHOR'S NOTE: This is an essay about what my egg 'went through' during the process of an egg drop project. Enjoy!

---

As I sit in my grey carton, I wait. I remember all the past days I’ve had, spending time with my human caretakers, being dropped out of that window, and even being placed into the basket in which we were first purchased. I recall all those times I was almost dropped by one of my caretakers, how I first got myself tattooed, and how unusual it was. This has been quite the journey for me, Egger Jr. It all began on that faithful day at the local grocery store…

All the eggs were talking about it. It was almost time for those teachers to come get us. We had no idea who would live or not. All we knew was that those teachers would come to get us soon, to take us to the irresponsible classes, who didn’t care about what would happen to us eggs. We have feelings too! The only thing we could do was hope to be placed with a group that really cares about us, and our feelings.

That’s when the glass door opened, and I could hear some of the eggs screaming, “It’s a teacher!” I suddenly felt our carton being raised off from our shelf in the refrigerator. I felt as if my yolk had been invaded with butterflies. “Please don’t pick us!” I thought, hoping that this teacher would decide we weren’t good enough for his class. But, I suddenly heard a deep, loud voice say, “Ah! Here’s a good bunch of eggs!”

Nooo! We were picked for the egg drop! As I felt the carton being placed onto solid ground again, I wondered about my future. Would I be thrown off a window and just crack right then and there, and never live to see the world again? Suddenly, we started moving, as if we were back on the farmers truck again, but this time, we were moving toward the dreaded place of school. The egg next to me started to snore. After awhile, I decided I might as well get some sleep also.

RING! I heard the noise of a shrill bell and lots of humans running around. I woke right up, alert, waiting to be taken out of my package. But, it didn’t happen. An hour went by, and I felt relieved. Maybe I would stay in my cold environment forever!

Hours went by, and most of the other egg cartons had been taken away. But then, I heard, “Mr. Richardson! Do we get our eggs today?” I felt that butterfly feeling coming back again. We were the only carton left, and obviously going to this class of humans. “Please! Please let me have a responsible group!” I thought and hoped.

“Mr. Richardson! We’ve got our plan all ready!” I hear a voice say.

“Well, it looks like you’re ready to start decorating your egg.” I hear. It was the same voice that came to get us at the grocery store.

Suddenly, the cover of our carton was opened; I saw three heads looking at us. All three had some sort of a mini glass door covering their eyes. Maybe that’s how humans can leave the refrigerator, by wearing the mini doors. Before I could start getting deep into thought, I was lifted up out of my package and placed into the hands of the taller student. She took me over to a large, long, and extremely tall black table and just put me down. That’s when they began to tattoo me.

I was very uncomfortable with the thought of having images placed on my shell. The two students discussed what they would draw, and always the shorter one, whom I learned her name was Pooja, drew. When the taller one, Dana, attempted to draw, she usually messed up and would have to have Pooja draw it over. The two seemed to be responsible, but I had my doubts about Dana. She was always tossing me around, but never dropped me, surprisingly.

After some time, a voice came out of a box up on the wall of the classroom, announcing that the students would be dismissed soon. The girls immediately started picking up the markers and rushed me back to my carton, where I would stay for awhile, until the next day when they came back to get me. I rested and waited for the next day to come.

The next day, as Dana and Pooja came to get me out of my carton, I saw some rather interesting materials lying on the table. It included some sort of a puffy ball sort of material, some objects that looked a bit edible, and some round soft circles. That’s when they started to strap some of the circles on me with a rubber band, as they called them. After that, they started to stick some of the round puffy balls with some sort of a sticky substance, which they referred to as fluff. I just wished they would’ve taken it off so I didn’t have to be so uncomfortable!

Over the next few days, it pretty much went the same. The girls stuck tons of padding on me so I wouldn’t break in the fall. Dana would then throw me around, being careless as usual, and then Pooja would take me and tell Dana to stop throwing me around. Finally, they stated that they finished and put me over with the other eggs and their protection.

I knew that day it was drop day. All the other eggs were being brought out of the room to be thrown out that window, and I heard of many of my friend’s successes and their failures. I wished them all good luck on their way out, and hoped that I would make it also. I felt those butterflies coming back yet again, as I heard Dana and Pooja coming over to get me. Dana and Pooja decided that Pooja would drop me first. As I was in line to get thrown out the window, I felt the suspense, and hoped that I would make it.

Suddenly, I felt we were moving faster than before through the line, and I realized I was on my way to the window. I hear “One! Two! Three! Drop!” and suddenly I felt myself falling. I was so nervous! Would I make it or not? I hit the ground with a bang, and realized I made it. I felt like rejoicing, until Dana picked me up and brought me back upstairs. I had to relive the moment and fall again.

This time, however, I was not as nervous, but still pretty nervous. I’m getting thrown out of a window again and I might not even make it! I felt Dana moving me toward the window, just as Pooja did, and then letting me go. I slammed the ground again, and I made it! I have lived through both drops! I would live a full life, without being killed by a human throwing me out of a window. As Pooja brought me back upstairs, I heard many other eggs celebrating that they made it too!

When I got upstairs, Dana and Pooja immediately started to open my package up, wondering if I had made it. Finally, they got to the last layer and I saw the world again! “Egger Jr. lived!!” Dana says, celebrating. I was brought back to my familiar egg carton, and saw the other survivors. There weren’t many of us left, but at least we survived. We were brought back to our cool environment, where I rest now.

As I sit here, and think back of all those times, I remember the good times, and the bad times. But, I survived. I know I can’t say that for all my friends, but I did. I’m happy I had a group with Pooja and Dana, even if they almost dropped me a million times. The egg drop was a good experience, and I bet that Pooja and Dana learned a lot, as did I. I learned to trust people, and you never know, they may end up saving your life.

duck1234 said...
that was a really god story i think that this should be published soon thumbs up to whoevr wrote this!!!!!!

duck123 said...
OMG I do sooooooo not understand that at all what the poop is wrong with you ( the person who wrote it)

Mybmxguy said...
Hey, i loved your story! What really made it intrigueing was in fourth grade one of my friends wrote a story about an egg being turned into eggdrop soup! I thought that was pretty cool. Keep up the good work!

ButterflyWings21 BRONZE, Sherwood, Oregon
i LOVE this!! :) its very well written!

JessieB SILVER said...
JessieB SILVER, Elkton, Maryland

an eye for an eye, and the whole world goes blind~Ghandi

i like this(:

check some of my work out(:

readaholic PLATINUM, Tomahawk, Wisconsin

I'd rather fail because I fell on my own face than fall because someone tripped me up
~Jhonen Vasquez

COOL when r they gonna publish this thing?????

evie428 BRONZE said...
evie428 BRONZE, Ontario, Other

"Writing a novel is not merely going on a shopping expedition across the border to an unreal land: it is hours and years spent in the factories, the streets, the cathedrals of the imagination."

That was funny!