A Joyful Sound | Teen Ink

A Joyful Sound

By 9roberts SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
9roberts SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

The sound of an elephant: That's what music coming from a trumpet reminds me of.  The sound is loud, exciting, and joyful.  From the first time I picked up the instrument in the fifth grade, I knew that I wanted to make this sound so that others might enjoy it as I do.  Though I have been successful in the music program at my high school, attaining this success has not been easy; it has taken persistence, patience, and a lot of practice. Through this process, I have learned that success is rarely spontaneous; it is most often achieved through adversity.  In choosing to view adversity as opportunity, I have been able to grow both musically and personally. This is the outlook that I have tried to bring to my academic endeavors and the challenges they have presented, and which I hope to bring to UW...

I faced academic challenges almost from the very beginning; I was diagnosed with global developmental delay in the first grade, and was placed in an IEP.  This program was tailored to help me with language and cognitive skills, reading comprehension, self-advocacy, and socialization.  I often felt singled out and embarrassed, particularly during my middle school years, when I would have an aide with me in the classroom, or when I was removed for sensory breaks and given extra time on assignments and tests.  The feeling was a lot like playing a bad note on the trumpet and having everything come to a screeching halt while my bandmates tried hard not to look at me-my confidence would waver to the point where I sometimes thought about quitting the instrument.  At times like these I would try to remember the joyful sound I could make and the unique opportunity for self-expression this represented, and I would smile and play through as best I could.  In a similar way, I realized that the challenges I faced in the IEP would help me to discover my strengths and weaknesses, giving me the tools I needed to express myself more fully, both academically and personally.  By putting aside fear of failure and working through adversity, I began to see improvement. As middle school progressed, I steadily decreased my reliance on aides and classroom accommodations, so that by eighth grade I was using minimal assistance while making the honor roll multiple times.  I continued with the trumpet, participated in class activities, and built friendships.

I was initially nervous at the prospect of attending high school.  The thought of being isolated and alone in such a large place was nearly overwhelming.  I had a decision to make: Would I let anxiety take hold, or would I swallow my fear and seek opportunities to branch out as never before?  I chose the latter course. I became active in the music program, striving to find that "joyful sound". I discovered the drama department, and found the confidence to try out for and act in multiple roles.  I took on new responsibilities, getting my driver's license and working a part time job to help pay for gas and insurance. Most rewarding of all, I have formed many new relationships among students and faculty.  I continued the IEP with minimal assistance, primarily speech therapy and testing time accommodations. Through this, I have maintained a high grade point average, making the honor roll each semester through junior year. 

During my high school years, I have derived great pleasure and satisfaction from making music for others to enjoy, losing myself in dramatic roles, and proving that I can succeed academically.  I have taken advantage of opportunities to play music in Ireland, New York City, and next spring, in Italy.  I look forward to continuing to challenge myself artistically and academically in my senior year. From the vantage point of today, it is easy to focus on these positive results, letting the hard work and the difficult challenges fade from memory.  Yet, if I allow myself a closer look, I can see that while life does present challenges, it also presents opportunities; often these are one and the same.  By seeking opportunity in adversity, I feel that I have managed to achieve not perfection, but steady positive growth.  I would like to continue this growth at UW Whitewater, where I hope to make a "joyful sound".