Rango | Teen Ink

Rango

February 1, 2016
By The8bitkid GOLD, Bakersfield, California
The8bitkid GOLD, Bakersfield, California
11 articles 0 photos 3 comments

Favorite Quote:
"Have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow know what you truly want to become."



-Steve Jobs


Before the release of the animated film “Rango”  Paramount, EA, and bEhaviour released a game to promote the movie. Each copy of the game came with one free movie ticket, but I doubt that it still works. But other than the movie, is the game on the DS any good?

Story:
The game surprisingly takes place after the events of the movie. Rango is now the sheriff of dirt and heads into a bar where he hears a loud noise. when he’s inside he finds a civilian panicking about being infected with something. When Rango tries to touch him the civilian disappears out of sight. He immediately thinks that what happened in the bar might be somehow connected to the disappearance of bean’s father because she claims that when she tried to give him his gun, he disappeared. Bad bill then appears and hits Rango on the nose. He soon chases after him but soon learns more about the disappearances, soon finding out that aliens were involved. So it’s your job to beat Bad Bill and drive off the Aliens.

Gameplay:
Rango has 4 “Roles” he can switch in and out of. Each role has a different ability and weapon. Normal uses fists to fight, Sheriff uses a peashooter, Duelist uses a rapier, and excavator uses a pick-ax. All four can be switched anywhere, anytime. The game plays like a combination of Fallout and The legend of Zelda. The game is a top-down shooter with different items to upgrade your gear and health. You're free to explore the world and complete different missions.

Graphics:
This game came out on the DS, so I think playing it on the 3ds made the graphics seem worse than usual. The character sprites move but they don’t blink and look extremely pixelated. I later played Super Mario 64 Ds to see if it was just me, but the graphics there looked much better. maybe playing it on the original ds might make it look better, but I still find it odd.

Downsides and score:
As previously mentioned the graphics look odd. The gameplay is fun, but it gets old fast. The missions are just,”defeat this amount of this enemy” and the world is really small. The bosses and ending are a huge disappointment as well.The game is also really short and I finished it in a week. at first I thought this might actually be really good, but was ultimately disappointed. This might sound strange, but I want a remake of this on the 3ds with a bigger world, more variety on the missions, and updated graphics. I know this can be a good game if they changed it a little. This game gets a 6/10. This game was so close to get a good rating, but i’ll try the Xbox version of it since it looks different than the ds version.        


 


The author's comments:

My reviews are ment to give a true, unbiased look at some games to help others get the game that suits them. 7-10 on the rating scale is good to amazing, while 6-1 is bad to horrible.