Red Dead Redemption II: A Cowboy’s Blast from the Past | Teen Ink

Red Dead Redemption II: A Cowboy’s Blast from the Past

March 19, 2024
By Anonymous

   Escaping from a robbery gone wrong, you and the gang of outlaws you’re with travel north into the safety of the mountains. Thinking the worst has ended, the gang prepares for their next move, but this was only the beginning of the end. Federal agents, bounty hunters, and other gangs on their tail, the gang fights for their freedom. 

     Red Dead Redemption 2, was released on October 26th, 2018 on Playstation and Xbox (and later PC and Stadia in November 2019) taking the world by storm. $725 million worth of sales was generated within a week of its release selling over 57 million copies of the game in its lifetime. It has also won over 175 Game of the Year awards in several different categories. It is no wonder that RDR2 is considered one of the greatest video games.

    One thing that stands out about RDR2 is its characters. Many games have side characters that sit in the background, but in RDR2 you learn about the stories and struggles of each one, making them feel like real living, breathing people. As you walk around camp, you can interact with other members of the Van Der Linde gang as they talk about their past, their feelings, and many other things. Arthur Morgan, the main protagonist that the player controls, is also a brilliantly written character. You learn about his history as a father, son and outlaw as you partake in his journey to redemption. These characters make you feel like you are living out of a Wild West tale.

    Another game element that makes RDR2 incredible is its open-world map. Not only can you go from corner to corner in first or third-person perspectives without being interrupted, but the landscapes from the scenery and wildlife to the hectic cities and towns are absolutely stunning. The level of realism and little details in every bit of the game makes it feel so alive. As the player freely roams the world, random encounters will also happen making every trip across the map feel different from the last. Better yet, while you’re not exploring the map, you can do anything from hijacking and robbing a train, hunting a massive grizzly bear, fishing on a river for salmon, or gambling your money away playing poker. The open world map of RDR2 is chock full of things to keep you entertained and add depth to the world.

Red Dead Redemption 2 provides an immersive and entertaining look into the end of the Wild West era, beautifully curating a story about Arthur Morgan and the rest of the Van Der Linde gang, and is unarguably one of the greatest video games in history.


The author's comments:

This is my first time writing a video game review, or really any review in general! When I played Red Dead Redemption II for the first time, I loved it so much that I replayed the whole campaign a second time right after finishing the first playthrough. I wanted to write this review to share the joy I experienced playing this game from the plot to the characters to just the music. In my opinion, this game is just phenomenal, and I hope this review can inspire others to play the game as well and capture the essence of what this masterpiece of a game really is.