All I really Need To Know About Football | Teen Ink

All I really Need To Know About Football

January 13, 2009
By Anonymous

Video games are evil, they rot your brain, and they promote death. At least that is what parents and adults say. Unfortunately, they jump to these accusations without understanding the benefits of video games.

In Felix Gillette’s article, “All I Really Need to Know about Football (I learned from playing Madden 07)”, Gillette transformed into an advocate for video games. From table tennis to one-on-one tackle football in his basement, Gillette’s rivalry with his younger brother existed. One Saturday, his brother introduced him to a video game that changed his viewpoint. The simplicity the games of the 90’s offered was unmatched to the sophistication of Madden 07. Gillette said, “This was a game of strategic adjustments.”From switching up defensive formations to offensive progressions in the passing game, Gillette evolved into a Madden threat. After each time he put down the controller, Felix’s understanding of the NFL improved; he turned out to be capable of analyzing plays. With his new found knowledge, Felix developed suggestions for the NFL: different camera angles, current offensive and defensive packages, and receiver routes after the play.

Professional sports are popular entertainment among teenagers and adults offered. Their elite athletes and unpredictable outcomes captivate their viewers through the duration of the game. But why are sports video games so popular? As a fan, the next best thing to watching the game is playing in the game. However, due to the fitness requirements and intense workouts, this dream is not feasible to the average American. Yet, with a television, controller, and video game console, anyone can be the next Terrell Owens, Ryan Braun, or Travis Deaner. As technology improves, the “dream” becomes obtainable.

The famous hockey player Wayne Gretzky once said, “The only way a kid is going to practice is if it is total fun for him… and it was for me.”(Brainyquote.com) This is the theory behind learning and video games. When kids are interacting and playing video games they are having fun, with or without them knowing it they are learning as well. Researchers have studied the correlation between having fun and learning and have created video games for youth in which they learn basic knowledge while gaming.

Besides the obtainable knowledge from video games, there is another lesson taught by video games that an ordinary book in school cannot teach: interaction. With video games offering online play, gamers have the chance to use teamwork and communication to work toward meeting a goal. These lessons learned can be utilized in the work force, college atmosphere, and in daily situations.

With evidence and support parents must realize video games are not evil, they do not rot your brain, and they do not promote death. Video games just offer a different way to teach other than the traditional classroom atmosphere.