The Nintendo Switch: Another Generational Console Released by Nintendo | Teen Ink

The Nintendo Switch: Another Generational Console Released by Nintendo

March 19, 2024
By Anonymous

Nintendo is one of the biggest companies in the world. They have video games and merchandise but when you think of Nintendo you would most likely think about their newest gaming console the Nintendo Switch. Nintendo has released many consoles but one console that sticks out is the Switch. Although the Switch came out in 2017, it will be one of the greatest lines of consoles that Nintendo has come out with and will still be worth buying in 2024. The Switch came out in 2017, which was the era when other big gaming consoles came out like the Xbox 1 and the Playstation 4. Knowing this Nintendo still came out with the Switch and blew its competition out of the waters. The total units sold by the Switch was 139 million consoles while the other consoles were 57 million units for the Xbox and 117 million units sold for the PS4. But what made the switch so special, that it beat other companies that had earlier released the biggest consoles ever like the PS2 with 155 million units sold. It was the fact that the Switch had one of the biggest and greatest changes to the consoles: it has handheld integration. It was the integration of this handheld feature that made the Switch unique; it was handheld but was still able to connect to the tv. Making the switch very versatile. Most people liked the idea of playing games wherever you go. That is what the Switch did, it didn't limit the Switch to be a home-only console. Including these made the Switch so special. Even Nintendo implemented this in their earlier consoles, the DS and the Gameboy. Switch and the past Nintendo consoles are the reasons for the trend of gaming in places other than home.

The Switch also had one of the broadest target audiences compared to the other 2017 consoles for example the switch was advertised as a Family game time console which ages vary between family’s, but also advertised for online gaming. Demographics show that the people that played the Nintendo Switch the most were people from ages 10-19. While 43% of consumers were ages from 25-34. Online play is still great in many games, and the switch has had an active fan base ever since 2017.From experience, the switch has great online play even after considering the fact that the switch has been out for 7 years and still has great online features and compatibility that it is safe to say that the Switch is still worth buying in 2024. It will have its own legacy with Nintendo’s past great consoles because of its technological advances and changes in the gaming world.


The author's comments:

I like video games and when I was little I liked the WII and the switch reminds me like the Nintendo Wii so it brings back lots of memories.