Runescape | Teen Ink

Runescape

May 21, 2009
By Nicholas Hoffmen BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
Nicholas Hoffmen BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Ever been bored with too much free time and wanted to escape life for a while? Well if you've got internet connection and a computer there is a way to do so. With the online game Runescape. Runescape is an MMORPG (massive multiplayer online role playing game) that has been played world wide since 2001. Even though it may seem like an old game, it is far from it. Runescape is still a work in progress since the makers are constantly updating.
In 2001 Jagex, the creators of Runescape, came out with the original Runescape to see if they would get any people attracted to it. In the original everything was very 2-D, and just thrown down to test. After becoming popular, though, they completely changed gears and worked towards a more 3-D experience. So they started to work on Runescape 2.
Runescape 2 was launched in 2004. Along with a new version came millions of new players. Since the free playing Runescape was getting more and more popular Jagex released a member's server, which was paid for to play in. Now people may have had to pay to play in the member's server but they received over 100 new things to do in the game. After the member's server was a big hit Jagex continually worked on Runescape so they could create a better game. The next big thing was graphics to work on.
The graphics to this game have really been modified since 2001; but, the biggest improvement to them was this past summer when Runescape went even more 3-dimensional. Jagex made it so that you could now have a full screen play, along with more graphics that made the surroundings more interesting. I can recall that the first week with the new graphics, there were at least 500,000 people playing at all times during the day, while on most days there are only about 120,000.
So in a nut shell you can play this game, be happy, and always be roped back into it. How you may be brought back could be with a new version, new graphics, or the fact that you miss it and want to play again.