The Secret Life of the American Teenager | Teen Ink

The Secret Life of the American Teenager

November 5, 2008
By Anonymous

The first season of The Secret Life of the American Teenager reveals unrealistic depictions of public high school and feeds the concept of stereotypical teenage cliques. While the overly dramatic actors and actresses would benefit from a few acting lessons, their fakeness adds a sense of humor to what is meant to be a depressing plot. Week after week, the plot gets deeper and deeper, and while I would have to admit that this show is one of the most predictable ones I have seen, I can’t stop watching it.

The concept of the show is somewhat ridiculous yet amusing at the same time. A naïve French horn player named Amy Juergens (Shailene Woodley) gets pregnant at band camp by her high school’s own “bad boy,” Ricky Underwood (Daren Kagasoff). She acts all clueless about it all; at one point she even tries to pretend that it never happened. Her oblivious parents don’t even catch on to her sudden weight gain and new wardrobe of peasant shirts and baggy clothing. She starts dating the sausage king’s son, Ben Boykewich (Ken Baumann), who falls head over heals in love with Amy, to the point where it’s almost sickening. The other main characters include the jock that cheats on his very Christian cheerleader girlfriend, a promiscuous Latino, and a monotone yet seemingly evil younger sister.

While the plot is completely ludicrous, one can’t help but fall in love with the phony characters and have their eyes glued to the television every week to watch the high school drama-filled episode unravel.