The Office | Teen Ink

The Office

If your life is crazy and unpredictable, you obviously haven’t seen it all. From secret relationships to grilled feet, The Office (Thursday 9:00, NBC) is about a disorderly and riotous paper distributing office in Pennsylvania where the boss is an uncanny and enthusiastic man. Everyone in this comical show clashes with their own personal problems and beliefs. The Office will make you laugh out loud with the engaging characters, the original storylines, and the outrageously hilarious dialogue.

The characters in The Office allow you to attach to them over time. Michael Scott (Steve Carell) is the tactless and naïve office manager who makes unsuccessful attempts at humor that often offend and confuse people. Dwight Schrute (Riann Wilson) is a sales rep who idolizes Michael and lives with a big ego; he will not sway from his unique and usually strange ways. Pam Beesly (Jenna Fischer) is the receptionist and the friend of Jim Halpert (John Krasinski), another sales rep, who continuously plays pranks on Dwight. It seems that an office without Pam or Jim would be dull, and an absence of Dwight or Michael would only mean less chaos. With each character having their own unique point of view, you can start to think how they think and see how they see.

The plot of every episode provides amusing interactions and entertaining problems for everyone to solve. Each show is unpredictable; for example, when Michael isn’t invited to a camping trip he covers up his disappointment by going out into the wilderness alone, trying to prove that he can survive with only the “essentials.” Or who knows what will happen when Michael burns his foot on a George Forman Grill, and Dwight gets a concussion trying to save him? These random and hilarious plots give the viewers a chance to turn away from the problems that arise in their life and forget about their stress.

The Office hosts believable situations where random events take place, but the witty dialogue is what completes these situations. Each character always has a smart comeback up their sleeve, like when Jim comments on Michael’s “cast” when he burns himself; “so where are you shipping your foot?” The perfect acting during these events back up the dialogue; each actor being so serious in everything that they do and say that it is impossible to even imagine them being anyone but their own characters. If asked “What is your middle name?” I can only see Rainn Wilson answering, “Danger,” like Dwight does in an episode of The Office.

The Office will always be there to lift your spirits when you are down, or if you just want a chance to laugh uncontrollably. It provides erratic problems for viewers to solve along side its creative characters and their clever lines. The network would be wise to not only keep The Office where it is, but to re-run episodes more often. As you go through your boring and tedious day, just remember that their office is waiting for you at home.