2009 Video Music Awards | Teen Ink

2009 Video Music Awards

September 23, 2009
By Liz Bates BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
Liz Bates BRONZE, Wilmington, Delaware
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

“A Night To Remember”


On September 13, 2009, the “stars aligned” in New York City for the 2009 Video Music Awards. The famous “Brit”, Russel Brand was chosen to host the special night. Brand had hosted the awards the year before where he offended George Bush and the Jonas Brothers when he made fun of their purity rings. Madonna and Janet Jackson kicked off the night with a special performance to honor Janet’s late brother, Michael. The show was going very smoothly until Taylor Swift won Best Female Video. Swift’s name had been announced and she made her way up to the stage to receive her award. In the middle of her acceptance speech, famous rapper Kanye West grabbed the microphone from her. West then pronounced that instead of Swift winning, it should have been Beyonce’s Single Ladies video. Swift later said, “I was really excited because I’d just won the award, and then I was really excited because Kanye West was onstage, and then I wasn’t excited anymore after that.” West’s interruption earned him many boos and many fellow celebrities turned against him. Taylor Swift later performed and showed that she deserved the award. Other performances included, Lady GaGa, Jay-Z, Alicia Keys, and the Video of the Year winner Beyonce. Many stars won “moonmen” and the 2009 Video Music Awards will be one fans will never forget.

The author's comments:
I felt that Kanye West's stunt was very rude and disrespectful towards Taylor Swift and it inspired me to write this article.