Tonight, The Stars Revolt!(1999) by Powerman 5000 | Teen Ink

Tonight, The Stars Revolt!(1999) by Powerman 5000

By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida

Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater

Powerman 5000 is a childhood favorite of mine having discovered them from Super Monkey Ball compilations and thought that the song that played in one of the videos was cool and checked it out. These guys are a nu metal/industrial metal band and they add their own comedic twist to the genres. So far they have released mine albums in the span of about twenty-five years with the first three having very much the same track listings. This is their first breakthrough as far as I'm concerned.
With the inclusion of thirteen tracks in under forty minutes, this may seem a little surprising. What's even more surprising is the fact that it feels even shorter. Most of these tracks are 2:30 to three minutes and two of there are transitions, System 11:11 and An Eye Is Upon You. The first song I've ever listened to from these guys was from this album and also one of their most popular songs, When Worlds Collide, the third track in the album. There is also a guest vocalist in the track Blast Off To Nowhere, Rob Zombie, and for the longest time I knew that was someone else, O just never knew who. I'm also impartial to songs like Nobody's Real, Supernova (Goes Pop), Operate Annihilate and the jazz track, Watch The Sky For Me as it makes a great ending to an otherwise, heavy and kind of chaotic album. I also like the style of the artwork as it's very much what I would picture of space travel to look like if it were the 60s or 70s. It isn't too hard too follow either as the concept is mishaps in space and keeps that theme rolling. If there was one problem I do have it would be to maybe make the tracks longer, I don't mind short tracks, but I would rather listen to grindcore if I want 300 songs less than two-three minutes. Same goes with long, epics, I wouldn't mind them in moderation or in the right premise. I do recommend to check it out however, as well as the band itself.
I give this a 9/10. I am the Grim Reaper, signing off.

First timers are likely to be present this year. I will say, it took me awhile to finally reviewing something from one of my favorite childhood bands.