Monstercat: Record Label Review | Teen Ink

Monstercat: Record Label Review

November 30, 2015
By theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
theheavymetalist ELITE, Winter Haven, Florida
247 articles 0 photos 57 comments

Favorite Quote:
Take me As I Am - James Labrie of Dream Theater


When it comes to music, I feel it's also important to see some business practices and musical selections of a company or label. This does seem odd however because No one I know has done this yet and considering I give more detail in music and less on statistics, hope I'm using that right, and where certain things came from and who or what inspired them. Well, let's hope for the best, here comes my very first record label review everybody.
Monstercat is an Electronic suited label from Vancouver, British Colombia, Canada that has been around so far for over four years. At first, they had some hard times trying to reach popularity although, considering the cult following they had before then, I don't think they would have cared. They release new songs on a frequent and regular bases, being every Monday, Wednesday and Friday and since I think 008 or 009 songs came in, they had small previews of the next song to give you a heads up. The only exception to both of those ideas is 001 Launch Week which is seven tracks long and of course, has releases once a day. They have a pretty diverse genre set, although not the most diverse I'll say that much, including old classics like Dubstep, Drum n Bass, Hardstyle, or Hard Dance as they call it, Drumstep and Trance as well as some newer stuff like Trap, Future Bass, Indie Dance, kind of, and Glitch Hop, again, kind of. As for albums, they normally release one for every certain number tracks, today it's 30. With that in mind, they also have been releasing mixes since 005 with the earliest ones having to cut some songs incredibly short. Nowadays, they just split it into two sides, one which predominantly heavier or hard hitting tracks and the other with more softer or longer tracks, each side includes 15 tracks. Now they are about halfway through 025 and...I don't have high hopes for this one. Some artists have stuck here since the beginning, some have gone elsewhere, like Obsidia, Ephixa, Matduke and Arion, and some have come back as another alias, like Project 64, DotEXE, and Varian, originally Halo Nova. They generally have a pretty nice, respectable community as well, almost to the point that it rivals the likes of people like Jacksepticeye. As for the artists themselves, they all seem to work pretty hard on many of the stuff they do, some require less time than others to finish a masterpiece, like Pegboard Nerds and Aero Chord usually, and some require alot more time than just a month or so, like LVTHER or Noisestorm. Don't worry, eventually we'll get to my favorites of the company so hold your horses.

Many artists, as expected, normally stick to one style, but with lax rules and little restrictions, anybody can technically do whatever and experiment. Aero Chord, a trap artist, tried this twice and I liked both of those songs too. Muzzy, a DnB artist did a Trap song once, although I hardly remember it. Noisestorm, who can do just about everything, made a trap song as well recently and also experimented in Glitch Hop a while back with Sub Zero, although I don't think Monstercat ever released it, but still check it out.There have been many collabs as well and some seem to do it more than others. A good example of this is the dynamic duo, Tristam and Braken who you can almost always see making a song together, although, there are times when that isn't the case, Tristam being more likely to branch off. It's definitely a good community to be a part of with all this in mind. Plus you can challenge yourself on certain things like trying to marathon a genre or the entire channel up to the point of today. Trust me, it's alot of fun. If you're not into electronic music yet, give this a shot, if you don't like it, that's all on you. I do have plans to review other companies and see how they handle stuff, but I'll have to see how this goes first. Thanks for reading and have a nice day.


The author's comments:

In case you're wondering, they also have a YouTube channel, which is about to breach 4 million subscribers, I can't wait til that happens, and a bandcamp so you can stream your favorite songs and albums for free.