Way Out Here by Josh Thompson | Teen Ink

Way Out Here by Josh Thompson

By Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California

In today's day and age, it’s hard to find songs that captures the American Spirit. The times of past country cowboy songs have changed hands to today’s Lady Gaga and Kid Cudi. Josh Thompson’s new album steps back in time, while still being relevant to today’s society. The hit song and namesake of the album, “Way out Here”, pays homage to America’s country lifestyle. This album is great. It’s one of the best country albums released recently. That’s also one of its biggest faults. Many people who have grown up in large cities are not familiar with country music. Yet, I think most of you will be able to connect with Thompson’s down home roots and rural way of living.

Way out here is a fantastic collection of music. As a Texas native, I hope that people will broaden their views of rural folk.

Mayim12 BRONZE said...
Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
Awesome. Its been on TV a lot lately too. Oh, and you can check out my other work by clicking more work by this author by my name at the top of this page. :D

katroxursox BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

"And this is the message I have heard and proclaim to you: God is light and in him there is no darkness at all." 1 John 1:5

No, but it's in my netflix que. I love Loretta Lynn as well. =P

Mayim12 BRONZE said...
Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
* I meant a question mark (?)  at the end of the 1st sentance

Mayim12 BRONZE said...
Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
Have you seen "Coal Miner's Daughter" about Loretta Lynn. Its amazing. Definately one of my top favorites.

katroxursox BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

I agree, most singers sing about living in the country and singing their country music while they aren't actually singing real country! And you must see the movie, I'm so glad there's finally a movie about country music! And it talks about old country vs. new country. ;D

Mayim12 BRONZE said...
Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
I plan on seeing "Country Strong" someday. I'm honestly not that much of a fan of southern rock. I think southern rock if just a bad form of Honky Tonk country.

katroxursox BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

Southern rock isn't exactly my thing, there's a few I can get into, but I'm a fan of the more traditional acoustics. I don't think it's the best on his album though, I think You Ain't Seen Country Yet is probably the best. However, most of his songs seem to have the same kind of rhythem/music to me (I'm not an expert though). They kind of remind me of some of the music in Country Strong, if you've seen that movie (which you should when it comes out if you haven't!).

Mayim12 BRONZE said...
Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
I love Zac Brown Band, also. I just like how Josh Thompson was able to incorporate southern rock into his sound since many rural communities listen to it.

katroxursox BRONZE, San Antonio, Texas

I think it's a good song, and I like it, but I just don't think it's that original. There are plenty of other songs like it with the same message. I think Free by Zac Brown Band captures the same message in a much better way, and sticks to the more old school country style. I think if you're gonna try and sing about the country, it shouldn't be in such a new style. However, it is a good song and I do enjoy it from time to time.

Mayim12 BRONZE said...
Mayim12 BRONZE, Elk Grove, California
Any Comments?