A review of Frank Ocean's | Teen Ink

A review of Frank Ocean's

January 19, 2022
By Poem-maker-3000 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
Poem-maker-3000 BRONZE, Oconomowoc, Wisconsin
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

The song “Self Control” by Frank Ocean captivates all the emotions of a breakup into a simple yet beautiful song. It starts with Frank’s heavenly voice with simple guitar rhythms behind it. The backgrounds of the song act as fluffy white clouds for his lyrics to float on. This song features Frank’s feelings as he is going through a break up. He still wants to be with the person yet they have moved on and found a new partner; this is evident when Frank sings, “Keep a place for me, for me, I’ll sleep between y'all it's nothing”. Throughout the song Frank slowly realizes that although he still wants her, she has changed and moved on to a new person. He reaches a point that he can no longer cling onto the hope of getting her back and instead deals with the pain of losing her. He states that she now sees him like a UFO which reinforces how they went from being in a relationship to being strangers almost as if they have never met. This sparks Frank’s emotions because while he is crying, she is fine and has moved on. Overall, the mesmerizing story that this song tells combined with the great vocals from Frank Ocean is everything needed to captivate any listener’s attention.


The author's comments:

"Self Control" by Frank Ocean is one of my favorite songs. His beautiful vocals and backgrounds make this song seem like heaven when Im listening to it while driving to school.