Sweetener Album Review | Teen Ink

Sweetener Album Review

By 22ks01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota
22ks01 BRONZE, Cannon Falls, Minnesota

Ariana Grande’s first ever non-black and white album cover! Everyone was immensely surprised. The totally iconic black and white picture of Ariana looking completely beautiful (as always) is gone. This American singer/songwriter has just released her newest album ‘Sweetener’ this album has beautiful, bright pastels on the cover. The album itself is about love, happiness, strength, and womanhood. Lots have called this album musically astonishing with genres like Pop, Contemporary R&B, and Trap music. Along with 3 guest appearances Pharrell Williams, Nicki Minaj, and Missy Elliott. ‘Sweetener’ is unique from her other albums and I think based off of Ariana’s year, this album is a very special one.

In my opinion, Ariana had a pretty rough 2018, with her and Pete Davidson’s engagement break off, Mac Miller’s death, and although the Manchester shooting happened in 2017 this event has made a big impact to her 2018 and most likely the rest of her life, as well as others. Some of these things even caused her to have a panic attack! Though she still managed to produce these incredible songs for this stunning album.

This album is really something special from Ariana. I love the harmonious album ‘Sweetener’, it has songs to put me in my feels but it also has the ones to make me feel good about myself self. There are only a couple of songs that I dislike from the album, one of them including ‘Raindrops (an Angel Cried)’ which is only 38 seconds. The top songs on this album are ‘God is a Woman’, ‘Breathin’, and ‘No Tears Left To Cry’. Personally, I love these songs! I think they have a fascinating meaning, marvelous vocals, incredible rhythm, and they just put me in a good mood. Another song that is my favorite on the album is ‘Blazed’ this song is with Pharrell Williams. The upbeat theme of this song makes it enjoyable to listen too. Minus the songs I don’t find very enjoyable, the songs are great to listen too!

This whole album is pretty upbeat, to give off a positive theme the cover photo is not in black and white. Ariana put so much into this album. She based a song off of a panic attack and she wrote one on getting out of her toxic relationship. So obviously she put her whole heart into the music and album. These songs are so heartfelt and some of them I find sentimental. These songs are not what most people expect from Ariana. Listening to the lyrics I feel the love, happiness, strength, and womanhood that this album is supposed to give.

‘Sweetener’ also gives a warm hug from Ariana through the music. Not everyone will like this album, or music, or Ariana Grande in general. This album is something different from what her music usually is. ‘Sweetener’ is my favorite album from Ariana so far! I constantly catch myself humming or singing the tunes this album has. I’m very impressed with how Ariana has had an amazing comeback with making music after all that’s happened to her. As for Ariana and her music, I can already tell that the best is yet to come and her next album will blow ‘Sweetener’ out of the water!

aalaazah1 PLATINUM, Colombo, Other

where words fail music speaks
success is a journey, not a destination

when you feel your best, everybody else can feel it too - ARIANA GRANDE

If you are able to look yourself
in the mirror every day
with the decisions that you make,
that's where power starts - SELENA GOMEZ

Before you judge people judge yourself - ZAYN MALIK

haters will say what they want, but their hate will
never stop you from chasing your dream- JUSTIN BIEBER

If you follow your dreams,
it means you follow your heart.
if you do follow your heart,
I don't think you can go wrong- CELINE DION

I literally love this album review...