Deadpool | Teen Ink

Deadpool

February 15, 2016
By Team_Underoos2k16 PLATINUM, Hyattsville, Maryland
Team_Underoos2k16 PLATINUM, Hyattsville, Maryland
39 articles 0 photos 2 comments

Favorite Quote:
"May the Force be with You" -Star Wars


This is it. Finally, the movie that has been in the making for 10 years hits the big screen…please be good.

So Deadpool is a movie based on the character of Deadpool, who is one of the most popular characters revolved with the Marvel Comics property. The movie stars Ryan Reynolds as Wade Wilson, a Special Forces mercenary who is diagnosed with terminal cancer. He’s then taken to a secret facility helmed by Ajax (Ed Skrein), where he gets the power to heal from virtually anything. However, his face gets messed up, and now Mr. Wilson has to find his girl Vanessa (Morena Baccarin) and save her from Ajax and try to fix his face. Again: 10 years. It took 10 years for this movie to get greenlit. Was it worth it? Oh my Chimichangas, yes it was.

First off, Ryan Reynolds is Wade Wilson. By that, I mean that Ryan Reynolds completely owned the role of Deadpool. He was fit for the role when he appeared in X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and in this movie he showed how great he is for the character. Ryan Reynolds is a funny person, and Deadpool takes Reynolds’ comedic timing and multiply it by 100. You can tell that Ryan is having the time of his life playing the Merc with a Mouth. But besides Reynolds and his awesomeness, everyone else was great in the movie. Morena Baccarin served as a great and funny love interest for Wade. She serves as a very funny parallel to Wilson and is also extremely dirty, just like him. Negasonic Teenage Warhead and Colossus are great too; Colossus serves as a hilarious parallel to Deadpool, because he’s such a boy scout, unlike Deadpool.

Even better than the acting was the humor. To call this movie “hilarious” is a bit of an understatement. The opening credits alone will have you in stitches, and that sort of humor just kept rolling throughout the movie. The best part of Deadpool is the fact that the humor is mostly self-referential humor. The character of Deadpool knows he’s in a comic book and he makes jokes that crack the fourth wall and talk to the audience. Put that in a movie, and oh my it’s one of the best action-comedy movies ever made. Period. Granted, there are toilet humor moments, but it’s smart toilet humor. I can’t even describe how funny this movie is without spoilers. I will say there a few lines that Deadpool says in the movie that jabs at the studio that is just too funny. Also, no spoilers, but there is a scene with Deadpool and Colossus where, to be totally honest, I was dying slowly from laughter. For nothing else, go see it for the humor alone. Just so happens, the action was great as well. This movie pushes the R rating to its extreme. The movie is extremely violent and there’s a lot of language and nudity and everything that makes a rated R movie rated R. The violence is over-the-top, but Deadpool is over-the-top so it makes sense. To have mild violence would not do justice to the name of Deadpool. So this movie ups the violence and it’s a lot of fun to watch.

If I have any gripes with the movie, they are very nitpick-ish. The use of Angel Dust in the movie was minimal at best. She was the muscle and only the muscle. She has maybe two or three lines in the movie, and that’s about it. She provided a cool fight scene with Colossus, but I would’ve liked to see more of her. Also, and this might be extra nit-picky, but some of the jokes were not as funny as other jokes. A lot of them, if not all of them, landed. But some weren’t as funny.

In the end, Deadpool is the greatest apology to fans from a big studio ever made. If you love comic book movies and want to see something new from the superhero genre…why are you here? Go see Deadpool. The action is exciting and the humor is gut bursting. Go check it out. You’ll thank me later. 


The author's comments:

No movie has made me laugh as hard as this movie