The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Pt. 1 | Teen Ink

The Hunger Games: Mockingjay, Pt. 1

August 22, 2015
By AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois
AlaNova ELITE, Naperville, Illinois
257 articles 0 photos 326 comments

Favorite Quote:
Dalai Lama said, "There are only two days in the year that nothing can be done. One is called YESTERDAY and the other is called TOMORROW, so today is the right day to love, believe, do, and mostly live..."


District 13 has risen from the ashes, and just in time. Rescued from the shattering conclusion of the Quarter Quell, Katniss Everdeen (Jennifer Lawrence), “Girl of Fire,” finds herself trapped in another explosive war, this time between ideologies on a crash course for destruction. And this is the final game she cannot escape. Leader of the underground forces, President Alma Coin (Julianne Moore) wants Everdeen to embody the symbol the rebels need to wash the Capitol in victory: the Mockingjay. But only she and Finnick (Sam Claflin) are devastated knowing that since the 75th Hunger Games, friends Peeta (Josh Hutcherson), Johanna (Jena Malone), and Annie (Stef Dawson) remain under Snow’s (Donald Sutherland) control. And as they slide inevitably towards total chaos, Katniss will need to find the strength to lead a people who are readying for a final battle.

Fans of the book Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins will revel in the first half of the dystopian epic’s final chapter. It’s a read on read, as director Francis Lawrence faithfully portrays the tone of the last novel in the series: shell-shocked, desolate, and heavy breathing for battle. Mockingjay – Part 1 is arguably no less war movie than the best of them, if not even grayer. And it’s a mature move for both director and screenwriter to tell a story that doesn’t cut too many shortcuts about war. Sci-fi or not; several disturbing, casualty-for-the-common scenes etch in stone Panem as a complete atmosphere.

Likewise, it won’t please everyone. The film rubs off as dark, moody, and military drab, topped with the colors of an underground bomb shelter. There’s the slightly awkward question if part one and part two could have done better together, but it’s honestly a little muddled. While Lawrence does a lot of emotional blanks, she truly impresses as a soldier faced with intensely real war and real loss. Anger and hurt pulls through her to further define character readers/watchers have come to idolize, and they should; once again, Lawrence proves untouchable. With that said, though the prized love triangle pokes its head into several scenes, it’s clear the movie isn’t for the kisses. And yes, you’ll see the real Peeta at the very end; it might just scare you enough to come back for Mockingjay – Part 2.


The author's comments:

What does "THHRe" stand for? Good question! It's THE HOLY HITCHHIKE’S REVIEW...A shorter version of the Hitchhike, reviews principally concerning books, movies, and music. Enjoy, and let loose your commentary and suggestions below. A new column of THH every Friday!