The Fault in Our Stars | Teen Ink

The Fault in Our Stars

April 29, 2015
By isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
isabelw DIAMOND, Atlanta, Georgia
58 articles 2 photos 7 comments

Favorite Quote:
"They say I'm a dreamer, but I'm not the only one." -John Lennon


I had predicted that The Fault in Our Stars would be the best movie of the summer, and if not the best movie, then the best romantic comedy.  I am sure my prediction was correct. 


Directed by Josh Boone, the movie was based off the best-selling book, The Fault in Our Stars by John Green.  It was narrated by the voice of the main character, Hazel Grace Lancaster.  She understands the truth of sickness and sadness in the world.  As 16 year old, she has already lived three years of her life with a terminal cancer that literally takes her breath away.  The movie takes us on her journey where her habitual life is shook up by an 18 year old boy by the name of Augustus Waters. 


These two teenagers, both all too familiar with cancer, show that real love doesn’t have to be beautiful or healthy.  In fact, love doesn’t even need two legs or sturdy lungs.  But before this amazing love is born, Hazel is hesitant.  She has long ago accepted the fact that she is going to die soon and only imagines hurting Gus.  But thanks to Gus’s goofy smile and charismatic attitude, Hazel and Augustus learn that there is no stopping what they have already started.


Don’t worry about the movie not living up the amazing book because in my personal opinion, the movie was just as amazing.  It comes with laughter and tears.  Their young love is deeper than any other love story.  It is filled with cancer, but reminds everyone what it is like to fall in love again through any circumstances. 


If you did not read the book, then you also don’t need to worry.  It is not confusing or boring.  Also while it may sound like a depressing story, you feel warmed by their love and there is comic relief in the form of Augustus and Hazel’s friend, Isaac.


I give this book five stars and would recommend it to many people but mostly young adults.  It was worth spending $15 dollars on a night of tickets and popcorn.  I would see it again any day.