Divergent | Teen Ink

Divergent

By The_Book_Thief GOLD, Brownville, Nebraska
The_Book_Thief GOLD, Brownville, Nebraska

"And when you gaze long enough into the abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you." - Friedrich Nietzsche

First off, this will contain spoilers. If you are considering watching the movie, do it. It follows the book beautifully, with only one slip up on the order of some things. I definitely think this movie is worth spending some money to watch.

Tris Prior (Beatrice) lives in a future. A future where the people in the city are split into five factions: Dauntless, Erudite, Abnegation, Candor, and Amity. If you are lucky, you get to join a faction. However, there are some who aren't compatible with any of the factions. They are the factionless. On the other side of the coin, there are the Divergent.

The Divergent are those who take the aptitude test and find that they are compatible with multiple factions. Being Divergent is dangerous, especially in Tris's new faction. The Divergent end up dead if they aren't careful.

Tris discovers that the Erudite plan to overthrow her old faction, Abnegation. Naturally, she wants to act. She has one problem. She is Divergent and Dauntless. She has to survive initiation, made even more dangerous by her difference.

This is an action packed movie, although I felt it was slightly rushed. Admittedly, I can't blame the director. The book is fairly long. I also think Christina should have been taller. Another thing I noticed, when Tris's mother died, the emotion felt was so powerful and overwhelming. Comparatively, her father's death seemed bland.

Overall, the movie is an enjoyable one, even if you haven't read the book.