She's the Man: Humor-tastic | Teen Ink

She's the Man: Humor-tastic

“Everybody has a secret…Duke wants Olivia who likes Sebastian who is really Viola whose brother is dating Monique so she hates Olivia who’s with duke to make Sebastian jealous who is really Viola who’s crushing on Duke who thinks she’s a guy…” “She’s the Man”, directed by Andy Fickman, is a teen comedy movie is a great take on an old play. It’s airy and full of humor.

The movie starts off with Justin (Robert Hoffman) telling his girlfriend she’s better at soccer than half the boys on the Cornwall boys’ soccer team. The next day the girls’ soccer team is cut. When Viola asks the coach if they can play with them, the coach denies their request because a rivalry game with Ilyria is coming up. Later, when her twin brother (a new student at Ilyria) asks her to tell the school he can’t come because his band is going to London, she gets an idea. She decides to go to Ilyria as her twin brother and play soccer there. With the help of a stylist friend Viola transforms into her brother. She goes to Ilyria hiding her secret and learning the mannerisms of a boy. When one night, the real Sebastian, the brother, shows up and is kissed by Olivia (Laura Ramsey) the one who likes “Sebastian “ and is with Duke. Duke saw this and confronted “Sebastian”, really Viola, and kicks her out. The real Sebastian sleeps in his room while Viola stays in a friend’s room. At the game, Monique and Malcolm (Sebastian’s ex and Olivia’s lover) tell the principal the secret. Since Viola slept in, Sebastian took her spot in the game. The parents figure out that the children were at the dad’s house. When Malcolm reveals the secret, Sebastian proves he’s a guy. At halftime Viola and Sebastian switch places. When Duke doesn’t pass the ball to Viola she tells him her secret. Viola gets the chance to play again. Ilyria wins the game, but Duke is still hurt. Viola invites Duke to her debutant ball and they reconcile. They make a big entrance and it ends with a kiss.

Compared to other teen comedies this movie is in the ranks. “She’s the Man” has the teenage events like the others but is funnier. Compared to “Ten Things I Hate About You”, “She’s the Man” is some what similar. They are both teen takes on William Shakespeare’s plays. They also both concentrate on love. Unlike “Just my Like”, it is based on a story. Though they both end with two people in love.
In “She’s the Man,” the plot is very interesting. The events are attention grabbing and humorous. The actors are also a plus. They are very appealing and personable.

A negative in “she’s the Man” is it only attracts teenagers. The events are things that teens relate to.

Though there is a confusing plot, the movie is a great comedy. This movie is mainly directed towards a young audience and great for someone looking for a little laughter.