Let the Right One In | Teen Ink

Let the Right One In MAG

June 21, 2010
By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
177 articles 0 photos 6 comments

Favorite Quote:
"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson


“Let the Right One In” has all of the makings of a truly great film – character, mood, timing, excellent cinematography. Though it is, by definition, a vampire movie, it simultaneously embraces its gothic roots while shattering many of the rules that apply to the genre. Here, the vampire isn't a gimmick or an excuse for melodrama. “Let the Right One In” is as serious about vampires as F.W. Murnau's “Nosferatu” was, and that's very serious indeed. Dark, moody, and emotional, the film tops my list as one of the best horror flicks of the decade.

The film follows the introverted and lonely Oskar. Regularly bullied by classmates, Oskar simply wishes for a friend to talk with. His wish seems to come true when the pale-skinned Eli, along with a mysterious man, move in next door. Serious and smart, Eli only emerges at night and ­doesn't seem bothered by cold weather. As a young romance begins to blossom, inexplicable disappearances and murders start, and Oskar soon realizes that Eli is far from human.

The film's primary characters, Oskar and Eli, are strongly written and interesting. These two adolescents make for some great cinema. It's fascinating to watch this relationship grow, especially considering Eli's vampirism and how this affects Oskar. Even if you took the vampire element out of “Let the Right One In,” the theme would still be the same: two lonely children who commit violent acts in a cold and seemingly unsympathetic world.

The supporting characters are great also, and the way their subplot slowly becomes involved with Oskar and Eli shows craftsmanship.

Visually, the film is fantastic. Everything is lathered with a plethora of dark shadings – from dark blues and grays to pitch black – and this creates atmosphere. It's a dark yet beautiful film, so the coloring works with the themes of loneliness and bleakness. With great camera work, the film is both eye-candy and a great character study.

“Let the Right One In” revolves around mood, though. The filmmakers definitely know how to create atmosphere, as everything simply feels right. Most of the scenes don't even need dialogue, as the majority of the emotion is conveyed through what's happening. Slow but entrancing, the film's quiet, dark atmosphere and pace are great.

If I have any complaints, it's the ambiguity of some issues involving Eli. Personally, I found this unnecessary and thematically harmful. I won't give out spoilers, but this tiny flaw stops the film from being perfect in my eyes.

With just a few minor flaws, “Let the Right One In” is a fantastic film. Filled with great characters, fantastic visuals, and a dark atmosphere, this beautiful picture proves to be very enticing.