Four Christmases | Teen Ink

Four Christmases

By TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida
TheGothicGunslinger ELITE, Lakeland, Florida

"To be great is to be misunderstood" - Ralph Waldo Emerson

I really don't even know why I watched this, to be frank. I know had family over and everything, but this movie is just so overwhelmingly bad. It's an example of everything that's wrong with movies these days -- a cast consisting of only popular actors, an awful script, and weak bodily function jokes that attempt to pass off as humorous entertainment. Everything's just so pedestrian...

The film revolves around a married couple, played by Vince Vaughn and Reese Witherspoon, who must visit both of their divorced parents' houses before the day's over. I won't even bother going any further, as that's about as deep as anything gets in this movie. The two players must go from one house to the next, each one being more bizarre than the last. A redneck no-nonsense who thinks his son is a failure? Oh, how funny. A Buddhist mom who's robbed the cradle with her son's best friend? Shocking and witty!

The failure from this movie doesn't necessarily come from the cast, but the fault moreover lies on the script's part. The jokes are so unfunny and dull it's, well, not even funny. Babies vomiting on people? Really? Where have I not seen this before? Church jokes, sex jokes, pregnant jokes, cougar jokes, it's all been done before and wasn't funny then either.

I'll admit, despite this film's failings, the cast does a really hard job at trying to make the movie funny. Comedians, cast members from The Office and Reno 911!, and the main stars themselves don't necessarily give bad performances. if anything, I have to give it to Vince Vaughn for even bothering to try with this movie, as he just as easily could have gone for the check and left the movie like the script-writer was essentially doing.

Unfunny, forgettable, and dull, Four Christmases is your typical, run-of-the-mill romantic comedy that'll be forgotten faster than it took to actually make the movie.

2/10 - Terrible