Cattyshack II | Teen Ink

Cattyshack II

April 29, 2024
By 5matthew BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
5matthew BRONZE, Nashotah, Wisconsin
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

After producing the spectacular film CaddyShack, a golfing comedy produced in the 80s, film producers wanted to build off of that success by creating a sequel. But none of the original actors from Caddyshack decided to follow. This forced producers to find all new actors for the roles from the original. The filmmakers decided to continue the same style of comedy used in the original but the actors were not able to give the jokes the same effect as in the original.

 In the original Caddyshack the actors played with corny and stupid jokes but it fit the scene properly because the humor came natural to the actors. Actors in the original used blunt and rude humor like Al Czervik playing Rodney Dangerfeild, but was able to give a humorous effect because that was already his personality. This character was copied in Caddyshack two but the actor had to play a character that was not fitting to his personality. He ended up displaying a rude, unfunny millionaire instead of the hilarious and rich Rodney Dangerfield from Caddyshack. “Chevy Chase was the only original cast member to return for this movie, and he later regretted the decision. Producers also begged Rodney Dangerfield to return. Upon reading the script, he reportedly threw it in the trash can.” Chevy Chase, in my opinion, seemed out of place and was awkward in Caddyshack two. All of the other actors were  screaming, falling all over themselves, thrashing and mugging like clowns possessed, shrieking and babbling, and pulling their pants down.   But that is not Chevy Chase's humor. In fact, in the sequel that style of humor was not natural to any of the actors and it bluntly showed throughout the film. Caddyshack ii is similar to the original in some aspects. if you stripped away the talent from the actors in the original you are left with a Caddyshack ii. In fact, in the sequel that style of humor was not natural to any of the actors and it bluntly showed throughout the film.  The jokes either came out as extremely corny or outright rude. Every joke the actors displayed throughout the movie was desperately trying to make the audience laugh and failing miserably.  It reminded me of one of those black and white films from the 1920s where they had to over exaggerate their body language because of the fact that they could not talk. The difference is that in Caddyshack 2 they could talk—and at points I wish they couldn't.

The other major issue I noticed was there is absolutely no plot to the film.  In Caddyshack the entire film had a main character, Danny Nooman, who was just graduating highschool working as a catty and had no money to go to college.  He ended up playing in a 2v2 with chevy chase winning enough money to go to college. But in the sequel there is no plot whatsoever.  The only goal was to make people laugh, and didn't even do that.  It reminded me of cartoons for small children where there is no point in watching. Although the cartune may be funnier. There is no need to watch a 99 minute movie with no plot. While watching I kept searching for the plot thinking it will come in eventually.  Little did I know after 99 minutes I would be  still waiting.

Overall I would only recommend this movie to those who enjoy plotless, Painfully unfunny movies.  I think what really set my opinion for the movie was that Caddyshack II is so similar to the original, only 10 times worse. Most of the jokes were reused from the original. Cattyshcak two was even able to ruin the gopher from the original. I remember seeing the extremely fake puppet pop out of a hole in the ground and instantly laughing because the joke was built off of how fake it looked. 


The author's comments:

I personally was obsessed with the original Cattyshack movie when I was a kid and relized that there was another one.  I Watched it as soon as possible. but when I was finished I was lost on how they where even related to one another. I then realized why I had no clue that there was a sequel.