Why | Teen Ink

Why

By arielhuang BRONZE, Santa Clara, California
arielhuang BRONZE, Santa Clara, California
1 article 1 photo 0 comments

Omnidimensional adventure film “Everything Everywhere All At Once” features, as its name suggests, everything. From butt plugs to bagels to hot dogs for hands, the movie really has it all and at once. So what exactly makes this movie a must-watch?

When we think of the word “superhero”, we typically think of people like Superman or Captain America. Evelyn Wang, the protagonist of “Everything Everywhere All At Once”, likely isn’t the first to come to mind. Though immigrant mothers may very well be some of the strongest superheroes out there, stories about individuals like Evelyn are rare. “Everything Everywhere All At Once” perfectly captures the essence of not just a struggling woman, but also of a Chinese family. The film was less about race, and more about culture. It explored elements such as the importance placed on family, the Chinese language, as well as hardships often faced by the Asian American community, such as the language barrier and microaggressions. These incredibly vivid stories are worth telling. We need more stories about mothers, about immigrants, about the heroes who aren't battling alien armies, but have just as much courage as those who are. 

One defining feature of “Everything Everywhere All At Once” is its stellar editing and how it especially furthered the movie’s emotional aspect. Most of the visual effects were actually created by five people! In an IndieWire interview, Zak Stoltz, who led the development of the hundreds of effects shots, states that little CGI was used, and that they were going for “less Marvel, more ‘Ghostbusters.’” The handmade and personal quality of the film’s editing contributed greatly to its message. The shot of Joy holding back her tears as she drives away, the fast cutting of Evelyn in various multiverses, and the use of slow motion in particularly heartful scenes all played so well into the overall message. As the audience, we felt Joy’s pain, we saw different facets of Evelyn, we were completely immersed in the vivid emotion of certain scenes. Combined with an absolutely magical soundtrack by Son Lux, “Everything Everywhere All At Once” speaks directly to the soul.

We’ve talked about how the editing beautifully conveyed the message, but what was the message exactly? “Everything Everywhere All At Once” is able to portray critical messages, some of which aren’t always talked about. The movie addressed nihilism, the belief that life holds no meaning. The googly eyes that were plastered everywhere in the film is one prominent example of the symbolism present. What the googly eyes represent can be seen in relation to what the everything bagel represents. Sharp-eyed viewers noticed the opposite nature of the two motifs. The eye is a white circle with a black center, symbolizing hope and meaning, while the bagel is a black with a white center, symbolizing despair and chaos. Waymond puts googly eyes on the clothes in the laundromat, the eyes appear on Evelyn as a rock, and Evelyn places an eye on her forehead after coming to her revelation. The googly eyes bring life and meaning to everything they go on, encouraging the audience to see the beauty in chaos and life. 

At first glance, “Everything Everywhere All At Once” seems to be all about an ever-expanding universe. When you look deeper, though, it’s clear that love and different perspectives on life are at the movie’s core. One theory states that all the multiverse-related events never really happened, furthering the central theme of family. Whether they actually happened or not, one thing is clear: the emotional rollercoaster is not only an artistic masterpiece, but also a film that speaks volumes. “Everything Everywhere All At Once” conveys powerful messages that need to be heard and differing perspectives that need to be understood.