Float on the edge between reality and unreality | Teen Ink

Float on the edge between reality and unreality

By ZhuyuxinCindy SILVER, Hangzhou, Other
ZhuyuxinCindy SILVER, Hangzhou, Other

Reflect our lives through film and television

On 2020.12.11, 60-year-old South Korean director Kim Ki-duk died in Latvia due to COVID-19. He is a famous Korean director, and he won many awards due to his unique film making style at the Venice International Film Festival. "Bin jib" is his most romantic movie. Through relatively silent language, he portrays a love story that floats between reality and unreality.

The hero is a person living alone. He distributes small advertisements to judge whether the owner of the house is at home. If there is no one at home, he will pry open the lock and live in this house for a short time. In order to pay the rent, he does some housework. Once, he met the heroine who was abused by her husband in a room. He took her away from her violent husband, and they looked for an empty room to live together. They were so tacit that they did not need to communicate with each other. However, they were found by an owner of an empty room. The heroine returned to the original home, while the hero was arrested and imprisoned. But this is not the end. The hero always practices the ability to hide like a ghost without being discovered in the prison, which was unreal to some extent. After being released from prison, he once again came to the heroine's house, using the blind spot of the human eye to hide behind the heroine's husband. In this way, the heroine is the only person to see him. Finally, the hero, the heroine, and the heroine’s husband, until the end of the film, the three of them live in the same space, but in each other's eyes there are always only two people.

One unique thing of this movie is to depict the “world behind us”. For one thing, every room where the hero lives can be seen as the "world behind". The reason is that everyone’s private living space is a reflection of their hidden personality that is not likely to be exposed to outsiders. Through the perspective of the hero, the film shows the situations of Korean families at that time: messy children's rooms, divorced spouse life... These all reflect the potential crisis of each family. Foe another, The hero uses the blind spot of the human eye in prison to cultivate the ability of living behind others and then thoroughly lives in the "world behind" which actually is a philosophical concept of space. The director portrays the "world behind" as a heaven for escaping the reality and a beautiful holy place for healing pain. To some extent, the "world behind" is where people's ideals are. Just as at the end of the film, after the husband went out, the hero and the heroine hugged each other. This is the only moment when the world in front us and the world behind us are fully integrated. In the "world behind" there will be the warmth that was discarded by us.

In addition, “Bin jib” also discuss a social issue of marginalized people who live alone without any communication with others. The hero is a marginalized person in the society. He has no his own living style. In this way, he uses other people’s living styles to make his own life, such as staying other people's houses. Therefore, he marginalized himself to the extent that he is not like a real person, but is just a spiritual experiencer of the real world. The heroine was abused by her husband for a long time. Because the hero took her away from her husband, she consciously followed the hero and agreed with his living style. To some extent, the heroine is a person who is largely dependent on others and loses her own characteristics. This phenomenon is very common. When we face frustrations in life, we tend to escape from such sorrowful world. Gradually, we are less and less willing to face the reality, which will cause ourselves to be detached with society and become marginalized people.