Blade Runner | Teen Ink

Blade Runner

Blade Runner infuses together some of the very best of science fiction and fantasy to create a truly immersive adventure that will definitely and pleasantly surprise viewers. The movie revolves around a futuristic version of the world in Los Angeles, taking place in the year 2019. In this scientifically advanced world, there have been many significant changes to society, including the addition of Replicants. Replicants are android clones that are grown-up artificial people and are hunted down by police forces because there is no real home for them on Earth. In fact, this is where Deckard comes into play as the movie's protagonist. Deckard is chosen by one of the police bosses to return to his old job, which has been deemed the title of Replicant Hunter. As the name suggests, Deckard used to hunt down Replicants, seeing as society deemed it necessary, and now Deckard must return to eliminate and destroy four Replicants that have escaped from their own respective colonies. Replicants are meant to have their own separate places to live, which are quite aways from Earth, but now there are a few that have returned to the planet, which might only spell doom for the inhabitants of the futuristic world. This means that Deckard has the task of destroying them and ensuring that they are removed from the planet, by whatever means necessary. However, things become incredibly complicated when Deckard meets Rachel, a Replicant female that Deckard quickly falls in love with. This means that even before starting the job, Deckard already feels torn by completing the task that he's been assigned to accomplish, and the consequences of not executing such might be quite detrimental. 
 Blade Runner proves to be quite the exhilarating science fiction tale, and by introducing classic tropes and utilizing them in a unique and creative manner, the movie is more than capable of providing thought-provoking questions that are both psychologically complex and intellectually thrilling for viewers to behold. With a delicate balance between dark realism and truly dream-inspired idealism, the movie is able to craft a story that deals with the very fabric and nature of the human condition and what is truly defined by the meanings of being deemed such. The Replicants in the movie are portrayed to look like humans, and aside from a few characteristics that can be sought out by those trained to hunt them out, there's no denying that there's some glaring similarities between Replicants and humans, so much so that watchers begin to wonder if humans are really all that different from androids themselves. This creates a puzzling paradox within itself, especially because humans are showing disdain towards the androids that they built, and this creates a massively consuming and intoxicating adventure that is undeniably well-composed. 

Blade Runner greatly benefits from a star-studded cast that is able to bring the famous works of Philip K. Dick, the author of the short story the movie is based off of, to life, allowing plenty of eccentric concepts to feel realistic and a possibility for the extravagant wonders that the future holds. Harrison Ford is nothing short of fantastic as Rick Deckard, and as the protagonist of the movie, he pours plenty of emotion and reliability into the role, forming a compelling and captivating character that is truly a marvel to watch. In a film where everyone's real past can be doubted, Ford is able to provide a concrete character that guides audiences through the unpredictable universe of the future. While there are plenty of other notable roles, including Sean Young's Rachel, there is simply no getting around the fact that the movie revolves around Ford's stardom, and he ultimately does not disappoint. 
 Blade Runner has plenty of hidden allegories and symbolic meanings that elevate the movie to an entirely different level, both from an intellectual sense and entertainment level as viewers eagerly anticipate how the story unfolds next. The movie is considered a perennial science fiction classic for good reason, and it's ability to define the genre with its raw ingenuity and foreign concepts that are made normality is reflective of what science fiction is capable of at its finest. There's no doubting that this is an absolute must-see. 

"How can it not know what it is?" – Rick Deckard