Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid | Teen Ink

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a true classic that might just be one of the best adventures the American Western genre offers. As the title suggests, the movie revolves around Butch Cassidy and his friend the Sundance Kid, two cowboys that are famous for being bank robbers and being two of the toughest fellows in the western part of the United States. However, Butch Cassidy and his close friend, the notorious Sundance Kid, have the unfortunate fate of living in the later 1800s, meaning that the concept and threat of cowboys ruling the west has now become all but a thing of the past. In fact, Butch and Sundance's refusal to change with the times might just result in their untimely demises. After robbing money from the same train company one time too many, and stealing from the same powerful and influential man that owns the train, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid find themselves hunted by a group of elite authority officers that are willing to take out the duo for good. With death in the rearview mirror, the uncanny duo is forced to deal with their greatest threat yet. As their time all but comes to an end, Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid go on another wild ride, with so much more of the same qualities that have defined a significant period of their lives. They must deal with epic battles, shootings, bank and train robberies, running away on horses, dealing with a love triangle gone wrong, and an insane trip to Bolivia that involves them running away as true outlaws. As Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid attempt to survive in a world of challenges, it becomes clear that their greatest strength isn't Butch's quick wits and ability to formulate a plan on the spot or Sundance's ability to outshoot anyone in sight. Instead, their most noteworthy quality is the relationship between them, which has fueled them to get this far in life, while also having so much fun in the process. 

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid may revolve around two robbers, who are unafraid of stealing money in order to benefit themselves in a very selfish manner, but this doesn't prevent the two main characters from being completely likable, entertaining to watch and insanely easy to sympathize with. In fact, the relationship between Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is the true heart and soul of the movie, so much so that it is worthy of being the title of the movie. The bickering and lighthearted interactions between the duo are so characteristic of their fun nature and ability to make light out of any situation, and this is also why the movie is able to become so thoroughly enjoyable. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid are relatable characters that must deal with very difficult issues of their own, but through it all, they both ensure that they do not lose sight of what's important, which is their friendship with each other. 
 Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid proves to be an exhilarating adventure that brilliantly depicts what a fantastic American West film can and should look like. While the movie may not appeal as much to those who aren't the largest fans of the genre, there's no denying the fact that the movie showcases some of the best of the western portion of America, geographically speaking, and provides enough nostalgia to appeal to viewers of all ages. The crude beauty of mountainous regions and the natural scenery that composes Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid's home is nothing short of spectacular. Although the movie does occasionally focus too much on demonstrating such, the film is still so superbly effective. The movie perfectly sumps up all of the best qualities of American Westerns, and this includes violence, robberies and just how cool cowboys can be. 

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid is a true classic that certainly honors the real outlaws that the movie is based off of. With aid from a talented cast that shines, especially Robert Redford's the Sundance Kid and Paul Newman's Butch Cassidy, the movie is able to become one of the greatest buddy flicks of all time. There's an undeniable amount of elated joy that comes from watching the movie's deliriously phenomenal duo, and the high-spirited views of both characters is just so optimistically positive and needed in a world filled with negativity. Without a doubt, this is an absolute must-see. The real Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid would certainly agree. 

"I get sick being right all the time." - Butch Cassidy