Starship Troopers | Teen Ink

Starship Troopers

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

Starship Troopers is an action-packed science fiction thriller that takes place in an odd future where the human race is at war with alien bugs. In this distant future, the peculiar race of giant insects has an infinite amount of asteroids that they chuck towards Earth. Because of this threat, it has become a great honor to serve in the military and fight against these mysterious creatures. The main character of the movie, Rico, ends up making a controversial decision, by joining the troops with some friends. He soon gets selected to join the mobile infantry, which is essentially a group of pawns that are known to have greater chances of dying. As a member of this branch of military, Rico realizes the difficult life that entails, including the rigorous training and the fact that he or someone he knows could die at any second. However, Rico soon learns to love the co-ed fraternity-like atmosphere that the mobile infantry is, as him and his buddies train and fight ruthless enemies that have a single mission: survival at all costs. 

The entire movie manages to keep a fun, light tone, regardless of the fact that people are constantly getting killed or killing ugly insects. The movie is also quite witty, comical, and is packed with some outstanding one-liners and some superbly funny scenes. The ending of the movie is well done and reunites the very beginning with a satisfying close, making the movie appear like a great story, which it in fact is. 

Although some people are against this movie, because there's an argument to be made that the movie promotes fascism, the movie actually goes into some depth to explain what going to war really means. The visual effects of the movie aren't the greatest, but they get the job done and still allow the movie to gift audiences some epic battles between mankind and vicious insects. The entire film is filled to the brim with irony, like bugs being bigger than humans, and possesses a unique science fiction-esque that makes the movie feel like an R rated Star Wars movie. Simply put, Starship Troopers is a completely underrated movie that needs to be recognized by more people as a fantastic film that is definitely worth watching. 

Simply put, Starship Troopers is a completely underrated movie that needs to be recognized by more people as a fantastic film that is definitely worth watching.