Blazing Saddles | Teen Ink

Blazing Saddles

August 16, 2018
By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
678 articles 0 photos 8 comments

 Blazing Saddles is a comedy/satire that pokes fun at stereotypes while taking place as a Western. In a world in which extreme racism takes place, a crafty, clever worker named Bart breaks barriers when he becomes the sheriff of Rock Ridge. Bart is the first black sheriff of the town, and at first, nobody trusts him because of the color of the skin, but Bart meets a drunk gunfighter, who has the fastest shot in the world. Together, the unlikely duo try to stop a group of thugs that want to make the people of the town leave, because if they don't, the people of Rock Ridge will be forced to leave their homes. 
 Bart must use his wits to stop the thugs, and saving the town of Rock Ridge proves to be no easy task, especially because no one in the town is supportive of the new leader, at first. Bart must gain the people's trust and respect and attempt to stop the powerful thugs. 

 Although this movie is a comedy, this movie could never be created today. The language used would not be considered acceptable by today's terms, even though it's showing how life was back then. The movie manages to use stereotypes to their advantage and poke fun. Although parts of the movie are outdated, there are still a fair amount of parts that are still comical and worth a good few laughs. Gene Wilder plays his role phenomenally and provides entertainment. Cleavon Little is great as Bart.  The ending of the movie is good but slightly predictable. There aren't many movies out there like this one, so this movie is unique, creative, and differs from the rest of the crowd. Blazing Saddles is well done, worth seeing, and deserving of their 90% rating from Rotten Tomatoes. 


The author's comments:

Blazing Saddles is a unique movie that is worth seeing.