Spirited Away | Teen Ink

Spirited Away

March 18, 2008
By Anonymous

Spirited Away, is a wonderful film for families with a sweet story of needed love and compassion that carries us through an exciting adventure in which we learn the true meaning of friendship and family.

The movie Spirited Away, by famous Japanese Anime director, Hayao Miyazaki, starts off with quite a jolt as we are taken almost immediately into the story. We are taken into the thoughts of Chihiro, a 10 year old girl. She starts out as an arrogant, whiny, spoiled brat until her parents are taken away from her. She is suddenly forced to work and live in a world that is said to be mythical or in other words not real. Chihiro’s life takes a turn for the better and she soon realizes the importance of friendship when she meets Haku, a young man that’s about 16 years old. Haku watches over Chihiro. He protects her when she is in danger. He gives her advice to help her get through her troubles and make it through her journey that she has to take.

As the movie continues Chihiro meets new characters that either are a help or hindrance in her quest to get her parents back. One of the main people that gave her a huge amount of problems is Yubaba. Yubaba is the cause of Chihiro’s parent’s disappearance and thus Chihiro despises her and somehow fears her at the same time. Another “person” that Chihiro meets is the spirit, No Face. For most of the movie he helps her and follows her around like a shadow. Yubaba ends up changing too because of Chihiro and in the end turns out to be the one to set her parents free. As the movie goes on Chihiro meets more characters and each one has a lesson to teach her which will help her get to the end of her journey.

Spirited Away, is one of the best movies that I have ever seen and I would strongly recommend it to anyone who loves a twist-on-reality type show and has the time to enjoy the adventure of a young girl turning into a young woman.