The Princess Bride | Teen Ink

The Princess Bride

By MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey
MovieReviewer_18 ELITE, Short Hills, New Jersey

The Princess Bride is one of the greatest movies ever made and is more than deserving of its 97% rating from Rotten Tomatoes. The movie is a story told by a grandfather to his grandson, and the tale is about true love, fighting, power, and people standing up for what they believe. The fairy tale adventure begins when a young woman discovers that a poor farm boy named Wesley truly loves her. The woman, Buttercup, soon feels the same way towards Wesley, and together they achieve love that is beyond compare. However, they get separated, and Wesley must go through several difficult tasks to reach Buttercup. He goes from being tortured by pirates to out-dueling a master swordsman, being a gigantic brute in a fist fight, and out-witting an intellect. All of this was done to just reach Buttercup once again, but they are soon separated once more, and it will take everything Wesley has, plus the help of some friends, to defeat this new threat. If he fails, he will die and so will his true love. If he succeeds, all of his hard work will pay off. 

Meanwhile, Buttercup is expected to marry a prince, even though she doesn't truly love him; this forces her to make some very difficult decisions and make the best of her judgement. She tries to do the right thing, but it ends up hurting her in the long run, so she is forced to rely on other people to get her out of the mess that she put herself in. Luckily for her, she has a brave lover out there who is willing to do anything and everything to rescue her, but it will not be an easy task.

The movie has one epic sword fight in the beginning between two skilled swordsmen, and this adds loads of excitement and adventure to the movie. The fact that the entire movie is actually a story being told by a grandpa is genius and clearly thought through. The way the grandfather tells his grandson everything that is going to happen, and then it unfolds, is a thing of beauty. There is one scene where an evil intellectual is forced to choose between two glasses of wine to drink from, but one fo the glasses has been poisoned; this scene showcases good versus evil and is one of the movie's best. Another great thing is the fact that people who were enemies in the beginning of the story join together at the end to fight a truly evil enemy. 

The Princess Bride is a true classic fairy tale, because it has love, battles between good and evil, fighting, power, and a happy ending. But the movie is modern and much more exciting, interesting, and has much better character development than the average fairy tale. Although parts of the movie are predictable, the movie is still very well done and an absolute must see for anyone and everyone, especially, because it's rated PG.

The Princess Bride is an absolute classic and is more than deserving of their 97% rating from Rotten Tomatoes.