Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Adgenda by Becky Albertalli | Teen Ink

Simon Vs. The Homo Sapiens Adgenda by Becky Albertalli

By madalynleck BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin
madalynleck BRONZE, Monroe, Wisconsin

Simon Spier is a normal high school student with some not so normal, larger than life, secrets. Simon wants to live his life the way any other teenager would, but when one of his classmates Martin Addison finds out two of his biggest secrets, he has to find a way to comfortably live with Martin’s blackmail, but more than that, Simon has to learn how to be content in this own skin.

The major theme of this book is being true to yourself, especially in times of trial towards your character. Simon has many tests of his character throughout the whole book. One situation makes the next ten times worse than the last. What I learned from this book is that it is ok to be yourself. You don’t need to be the “default.” Our society has made things like straight, and white to be “defaults” when really there should be no set standard at all.

At first when I started reading this book, I convinced myself that I was only going to read the book so I could watch the movie. But this book became more than that. It became an escape, a new world that I could engross myself in. So when asked if I love this book, it is a definite yes. I don’t think that there are any specific parts that I didn’t like, there is always something happening in the book. Something that I think would make even more interesting was if you could see the outside perspective of Simon, seeing what other people are seeing and thinking.

Anyone could read this book. I would recommend it to anyone who doesn’t know who they are, who wants to have to courage to be themselves, or anyone who just wants to read a good book. Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda is a book that is a better escape than Netflix, or even your favorite movie. This book uses ethos in full swing. The book pulls at your heartstrings, and pulls you in deeper after every new chapter.

In conclusion, Simon vs the Homo Sapiens Agenda is a book for all. I book for the loving, the loved. For anyone who is struggling to be themselves, and anyone who know who they are. To say that this book only fits certain groups of people would be like saying that all dogs look the same. You know that just isn’t true.