The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine | Teen Ink

The Lions of Little Rock by Kristin Levine

September 22, 2017
By ana.vazquez BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
ana.vazquez BRONZE, Arlington, Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

I really love this book, the author, Kristine Levine, did a great job with it. This book is
classified as a utopian society. I love that no matter what, Marlee and Liz fight for their friendship even if it means going against other people’s opinions of segregation. This book has definitely worked out for me,  I could picture the characters and the surroundings around them. This book is great for children and adults of all ages to help them understand that there is no rich and poor, black or white, that we are all a big, huge family with no need of separation anywhere really. The language, language is an important skill in order to do anything in life, and for every job you need to be able to read and write to do anything in life. The language used in this book is very easy to work with, and easy to follow. Levine does not use large words that any teenager and adult can't understand. She uses strong characterization on every character that shows their personality as also Marlee distinguishes her family, friends, and teachers as drinks, helps you know who she feels comfortable speaking with and who she’s shy with by describing them as a strong drink like a hot black tea and refreshing ice-cold Coca-Cola from the fridge. The theme is insightful because I gives an excellent description of what the book is mostly going to be about, for example the theme of this book is “Friendship is more than skin deep”, and you can mostly already tell what its going to focus on, a friendship where 2 people have different skin colors and which you can say it takes place in 1957- 1958 in Little Rock, Arkansas, where segregation happens. I can make a connection with the real world because these actions actually did happen not with the same characters but we did have segregation happening around that time period(1954) and it even happens till this day, which people have this perspective of having different societies which I totally disagree, i think that we shouldn’t be seperated because to make Earth’s culture, there has to be diversity in some stuff like food, clothing, and of course people, if diversity didn’t ever existed then America’s culture would be all the same and people be wouldn’t be able to try new things like sushi, fish, and tamales. Two quotes from this book that I really liked are  “Because all the words in the world won't do much good if they're just rattling around in your head.”(Levine 1). Some people have this problem that they want to talk but are afraid of letting their voice out and to take a stand on something. I think that if people want something to change or want people to listen to them, they should overcome their fear and take a stand to make a difference like Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks or just to talk about something in general. And last but not least, “I think a friend is someone who helps you change for the better. And whether you see them once a day or once a year, if it's a true friend, it doesn't matter.”(Levine 289). I really do agree with Marlee in this because a friend helps you, gets on you, and encourages you to do better and is always there for you no matter the place, time, or situation. I recommend this book to people who don’t believe in diversity in America should stay because I mean America is what it is  now because of the diversity, for example sushi is now in America where its origin is Southwest, Asia and I believe that diversity makes a place more interesting for people to live, tour, and explore and so they can realize that diversity should stay.