Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

September 22, 2017
By Karrren0 BRONZE, Arlington , Texas
Karrren0 BRONZE, Arlington , Texas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

With so many horrible things that were done to Hannah Baker, all these things piled up and caused her to take her own life. She didn’t end her story there though. She wanted revenge.


“A lot of you cared, just not enough. And that . . . that is what i needed to find out” (Asher 280)


No one cared for hannah and that is what she herself thought. She wanted every single person that hurt her to taste their own medicine.


Stories about suicide can feel so real sometimes to someone who is not open minded. I love this book and the detail it gives. Although, i don’t recommend this book to someone who takes things really personal. 13 Reasons Why is a book with very depressing details, if you are 13 and under in age, then i do not recommend this book. It could make kids feel uncomfortable since they do think a very different way compared to young adults.


This book makes me see people who have committed suicide in a whole different view. I would always think that people who committed suicide were selfish and that it was dumb. But it’s not, some people can’t take all the pain and have no one to vent to, they’re lost.


The plot structure could be really confusing if you don’t know what is going on. Hannahs voice is italicized and Clay, the boy that was passed the tapes to hear Hannah's story, his text is normal text.


“I could picture life, school and everything else, continuing on without me.” (Asher 249). This quote is the point where hannah gave up. It’s sad because you feel like you’re there, that you’re standing there hearing hannah talk and you just want to be there to help.


Suicide sometimes goes through people’s minds you least expect, so let’s help out, everyone should know they are worth.