Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon | Teen Ink

Everything, Everything by Nicola Yoon

January 26, 2017
By kellytheros BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
kellytheros BRONZE, Dexter, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Yoon, Nicola. Everything, Everything. New York: Delacorte Press, 2015. 336.

 

Imagine being allergic to nearly everything. This is a reality for Madeline Whittier, an 18-year old girl who lives only with her mom and nurse, Carla. In Everything, Everything, by Nicola Yoon, Madeline has a disease called SCID (Severe Combined Immunodeficiency), which is extremely rare, and prevents her from doing many things. Madeline is grateful for the life that she has anyways, and enjoys reading books and playing board games with her mom. This was a fine life for her, until new neighbors moved in next door. That’s when she saw Oli for the first time. He was quite handsome, and she wanted to hang out with him desperately, but she couldn’t because of the SCID. She starts emailing him and they create a special relationship. As Oli and Madeline’s relationship grows stronger, her and her mother’s grows further apart. And when Madeline discovers something life-changing, she does something unthinkable.


I loved this book so much, I couldn’t put it down! I liked the plot because it never got boring, and it was extremely unpredictable. Yoon was great at keeping the story moving along, without it moving too fast. I also enjoyed the character development. Oli brought Madeline out of her shell and made her a much better person. I don’t read often, and don’t like most books, but this was a book that I definitely would read again! I would recommend this book to anyone that has a few hours on their hands, because nobody will want to put this book down.