Flowers for Algernon | Teen Ink

Flowers for Algernon

November 20, 2007
By Anonymous

Flowers for Algernon is a great book by Daniel Keyes. He does an amazing job at writing an interesting, exciting book. The main topic of this book is very creative and thoughtful. There is no other book like it.

The main character, Charlie, has a very low I.Q. He was perfect for an experiment that would dramatically increase his intelligence level. Since the same kind of operation worked successfully on a mouse named Algernon, they decided to try it on a person. This book is made up of many diaries written by Charlie. He expected all of his problems to be solved after the operation but instead, he began to have more. As he learns more each day about new things, he wonders if he chose the wrong decision by getting the operation done.

I think this is a great book because it has realistic problems that somebody would face if they actually went through something like this. This book has some parts that are funny and make you happy and there are others that can make you sad. The different moods throughout the book make you want to keep reading. There are also many exciting parts spread out through the book. Anybody can relate to this book. I enjoyed this book very much and it's something that I would read over and over again. It is one of the best books that I have read and that is why I like Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes.