Draw the Dark by Ilsa Bick | Teen Ink

Draw the Dark by Ilsa Bick

By benvargo1 BRONZE, Gregory, Michigan
benvargo1 BRONZE, Gregory, Michigan

In the book, Draw the Dark, by Ilsa J. Bick, Christian Cage is just trying to live his life when everything starts to fall apart. Ever since Christian’s parents disappeared he can’t stop drawing his mother and where he thinks she is, the “Sideways Place.” Christian starts to hav

e nightmares, and in these nightmares he will draw things on his wall that he wants to understand.

Christian Cage is living with just his uncle in Winter, Wisconsin. Christian used to have parents, but fourteen years earlier, they vanished. His father vanished when he was just a year old, so he never got to know him. Two years later his mom, too, disappeared. Christian would then obsessively draw his mom, and where he believes that she went, the “Sideways Place.” He would wake up to painting on his walls that was not there when he went to sleep, but he had the feeling that he did them himself. Christian starts to believe that all of these events are somehow connected and tries to investigate how and why.

I liked the book, Draw the Dark, because there was a lot of thinking happening inside the character’s head, but it did not interfere with the story going on at the same time. Every single piece to the whole puzzle was so thought out and connected. Draw the Dark was very subtle until you got to the part revealing what happens. Whenever I finished reading to the chapter goal I set for myself, I found it difficult to put the book down at all! To rate this book, I would give it a nine and a half out of ten. The reason for the nine and a half instead of a full ten was because I think that more detail could have been given about some of the parts of the mystery. I would recommend this book to anyone that enjoys mysteries or horror type books, but if you have time to read it you should.