Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck | Teen Ink

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck

At the end of the story Lennie says,“‘Le’s do it now. Le’s get that place now’” (Steinbeck, 106). Ironically, Lennie never goes to the place of his dreams. Instead, his only friend, George, shoots him in the back of the head. Of Mice and Men, is a  realistic fiction novella that focuses on two main characters: Lennie (a mentally challenged man) and George (Lennie’s only friend). They travel to California in seek of work during the Great Depression. They get a job on a farm and begin to work so, they can get their own place. However, Lennie makes a mistake and accidentally kills a puppy and woman. This causes the others on the farm to think he is dangerous. George decides he must kill Lennie so, the workers will not hunt him down and torture him. Overall, I liked this book. I thought it was tragic and really left me thinking. I would recommend this to anyone over the age of 13 so they can understand the deep messages found throughout the story.
    I related Lennie to a child and George to a mother. I was able to connect the characters to everyday people and it helped me understand the relationship between the two. I feel like this connection made the book a page turner because I was able to relate this to young child and their mother. I wanted to see if Lennie matured and became more independent as the book went along. However, this never happened Lennie never became independent. I was able to concentrate on the novella from the very beginning because right away I loved Lennie as a character. He was very innocent and this made me interested as a reader. I also think since it was relatively short, the reader was able to not become unfocused. It was short and to the point. Overall, I think someone who enjoys innocent characters and surprises would enjoy this story- and have a hard time putting it down.