It's Not About The Bike: A Journey Back To Life by Sally Jenkins and Lance Armstrong | Teen Ink

It's Not About The Bike: A Journey Back To Life by Sally Jenkins and Lance Armstrong

May 3, 2016
By kegstand BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri
kegstand BRONZE, Ballwin, Missouri
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

It’s Not About the Bike: My Journey Back to Life by Sally Jenkins and Lance Armstrong is all about Lance Armstrong and how he survived prostate cancer and also about his great success as a professional biker. Even though Lance didn’t write the book himself, it is written from his view. This nonfiction book has a constantly changing setting, to Lance’s childhood, to his adolescence, and to the present, including lots of flashbacks. I would highly recommend this book for anyone who has/is dealing with cancer, as well as someone who wants to achieve a goal.
“Son you never quit” (Armstrong 50). This advice that Lance received from his mother is one of the main reasons Lance says he always keeps fighting. The author uses this quote repetitively throughout the whole book to stress its importance. Whenever Lance had a tough ride ahead a mental image of his mom saying this would pop in his head and help him push through. Lance is a very inspiring person and throughout his book he gives advice on how to keep going forward. I liked that he’s portrayed as such a strong person and that he is always prepared to achieve his goals no matter what it is.
At only age 25 the very talented Lance Armstrong was diagnosed with stage three (advanced) testicular cancer which then spread to his brain, lungs, and abdomen. Even with this huge set back Lance managed to overcome it and continue racing. Lance said: ?"Make an obstacle an opportunity, make a negative a positive” (Armstrong). This is one of Lance’s inspiring pieces of advice he gives to the reader. While having cancer he would still ride his bike even if it was just around the neighborhood once. In the book you read about Lance’s positive outlook on the whole situation. Reading this book could have the potential to empower people affected by Cancer.
The tone throughout a good deal of the book is Lance talking in a very c***y manner. He talks about how as a kid he knew he was the best, as teenager and young adult he knew he was the best. He talks about how he lives in an extravagant mansion and hasn’t settled down because of all the lady friends he has. I didn’t exactly like this unique take on the tone, but i think it was suited and made sense for the book. Lance Armstrong is c***y, that’s just who he is so obviously the book is going to sound that way. I think this was necessary because Lance’s positive attitude is one of the main reason he was able to overcome his cancer. Overall I really enjoyed reading the book and getting to learn more about Lance Armstrong. It was very relatable due to numerous people in my family who
have dealt with the same disease. I definitely will be recommending the book to people, and I give it four stars.