I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson | Teen Ink

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson

By dogsrule1271 SILVER, Nerstrand, Minnesota
dogsrule1271 SILVER, Nerstrand, Minnesota

To sum it all up, if you want to write, if you want to create, you must be the most sublime fool that God ever turned out and sent rambling. You must write every single day of your life. You must write dreadful dumb books and glorious books, and let them wrestle in beautiful fights inside your head, vulgar one moment, brilliant the next. You must lurk in libraries and climb the stacks like ladders to sniff books like perfume and wear books like hats upon your crazy heads. I wish for you a wrestling match with your Creative Muse that will last a lifetime. I wish craziness and foolishness and madness upon you. May you live with hysteria, and out of it make fine stories—science fiction or otherwise. Which means, may you be in love every day for the next 20,000 days. And out of that love, remake a world.”
–Ray Bradbury

As soon as my eyes focused on the page, emotion and colors exploded across my vision. In every class, I would rush through work just so I could lose myself once again in the thrilling lives of Noah and Jude, the main characters of I’ll Give You the Sun. To say that this book is good, is an extreme litote. A story like this deserves to be at the top of your book list with a massive yellow smiley face and two stars behind it. This countless award winning novel  not only gives you something to look forward to, but also makes you think about what life is really about.
Even though the ending was the typical happily-ever-after finale, the storyline will definitely keep you guessing until the very end. I enjoyed every word and would absolutely recommend this book. This heart-warming adventure will leave you smiling, tearful, and suddenly craving an orange.
Jandy Nelson, the author, takes us through the world of Noah and Jude, twins, who have completely opposite personalities. This epic tale flips between Noah and Jude at different ages: Noah as a 13-year-old and  Jude as a 16-year-old. Nelson takes us through the pain and regret of the twins and what lead them to do what they did. From acrylic paint to superstitious bibles, this book will keep you on your toes.
I am in love with the way Nelson uses her love for art and poetry to paint a very vivid picture with only her words. Her use of imagery and metaphors immerses the reader into many new perspectives. Nelson paints her aberrant personality into each character, sculpting with such exceptional intensity that they practically dance off the page.
I could take many quotes from this book to share with you and make some philosophical lesson at the end, but that would ruin the joy of discovering them for yourself. Instead I’m going to leave with these final words. No matter how hard they try, ghosts can’t break stone.