Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher | Teen Ink

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

January 6, 2016
By gracehepworth9 BRONZE, Branchburg, New Jersey
gracehepworth9 BRONZE, Branchburg, New Jersey
1 article 0 photos 0 comments


    Thirteen Reasons Why Book Review
After reading Thirteen Reasons Why, I was left feeling heartbroken. Thirteen Reasons Why, by Jay Asher, is about a boy named Clay who receives a package which contains 7 cassette tapes in it, sent from an anonymous person. At first, Clay is convinced that someone is trying to prank him, but little does he know that he is about to be listening to his old friend Hannah’s suicide note. As he listens to the tapes, he is unexpectedly met by Hannah Baker’s voice. Hannah went to the same school as Clay, however they weren’t very close friends, they rarely ever talked. Hannah had just commit suicide a few months earlier, and in the tapes she sent out to people, she states 13 reasons or people that contributed to make her want to end her life. Unfortunately, Clay learns he is one of them. Clay has no idea why he is one of these people that made her want to end her life, but what he learns changes his life.
Overall, this book was really upsetting but in a good way, and I would definitely recommend it to a friend. This book impacted my life by teaching me to think before you speak, because it could save someone’s life.