Stiff by Mary Roach | Teen Ink

Stiff by Mary Roach

By Savi.b BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado
Savi.b BRONZE, Littleton, Colorado

There are no ugly people, only lazy ones.

Laughing in the Face of Death
I went into this practically hating nonfiction. Written by the esteemed author, Mary Roach, ‘Stiff’ is a strangely hilarious journey of what happens to the human body after death. Within the first two pages I was instantly hooked, a delightful surprise for a nonfictional work.
To Roach death is not seen as a horrible occurrence or painful loss, rather it is referred to as completely natural, normal, and almost embarrassing with all the baggage that comes with it. The combination of facts, feelings, comedy, and respect morphs ‘Stiff’ into a masterpiece. Brutally direct facts create a tone of strength, confidence, and at times humor. Though this book is bursting with information, and it’s never boring mostly due to how intriguing every single event is. The author’s commentary through her travels and and stories drastically improves and creates character to this book, showing who the author is too. Though ‘Stiff’ has humor, it never disrespects the dead or living. ‘Stiff’ hits so many points on cadavers it’s impossible to name them all (body donations, bloating, safety tests, experimentation,ect.) To me the entirely weird, but relevant facts is what makes it incredibly addicting. From body snatching, to two headed monkeys, to cannibalism, ‘Stiff’ has it all. Every page shocks me with completely bizarre things I feel we should at know. Like did you know hearts can still beat after the owner has already died? Like,what? From cover to cover ‘Stiff’ did not disappoint and in fact convinced me of some new ideas.It’s one of my favorites and I highly recommend it (even if you are a little squeamish).  Saying that a book about dead bodies was hysterical and enlightening sounds crazy, but that’s just what ‘Stiff’ is.