Mockingjay Review | Teen Ink

Mockingjay Review

December 10, 2014
By Kyden De Sa BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
Kyden De Sa BRONZE, Keaau, Hawaii
4 articles 0 photos 0 comments

One of the hardest decisions known to man is choosing between the book or the movie. And the topic of choice doesn’t exactly make it an easier choice, the book//movie is none other than,“Hunger Games Mockingjay”. If you haven’t read the book or seen part one of the movie, it’s basically about Katniss, her mom and sister, Gale and Finnick adjusting to the lifestyle of District 13, while Peeta is being tortured back at the capitol . After some time Katniss and Gale get their hunting privileges. Later on the two are accompanied by a group of people that have escaped from capitol custody, after they meet each other and introduce themselves, they travel to a hospital to just help out. But little do they know that they’re in the midst of being bombed by President Snow’s Militia. Katniss shoots down one of the remaining bomber ships, but the blown up ship ends up crashing into the Hospital anyway.       


Peeta keeps on getting interviewed until he sees Katniss’s propaganda and warns them about the capitol attacking their district. Turns out the capitol are just attacking them blindly, so Coin and everyone else in District 13 had to just wait it out. After all of the bombings are over Coin sends out Men to go and save the captured tributes, Gale almost dies in the process, but gets out with them not harmed for the most part. When they get back, Katniss goes to see Peeta but turns out he got hijacked (mental torture to make Katniss look like an enemy) so he tries to kill Katniss until she is saved by Boggs. And the movie ends at Peeta strapped down to a bed while Katniss watched him feeling guilty.


It’s not hard to see that the book grants you with endless pages of description and detail, while the movie has to cut down on all of that so that it can fit in the given amount of time. Although the movie gives you the visual aspect that the novel could never give to you, plus there’s the eye candy Jennifer Lawrence too, with the exception of Josh Hutcherson. Which brings me to the next point of the casting of the movie, did it make it better, or worse. There’s no doubt in my mind that the casting for; Katniss, Peeta, Haymitch, Gale, Effie and a couple others were pretty spot on, while the others performances were so/so.


    As for the book, we get to make our own interpretation of what the characters look like. As for which one is better, you can either dedicate part of your life to reading the entire book. Or watch a two hour movie and wait for about a year to see the next one and watch the movie before to see where they left off. And speaking of left off, lets talk about where Mockingjay Part 1 ended, which was Peeta screaming in a bed while being strapped down. Personally I didn't enjoy where it left off, because that only like the very first few chapters of the novel, which leads me to believe that they are going to cut quite a lot out of the second movie.


So in conclusion I would say, just read the book it’s not gonna kill you. If you really don't like reading like me, just do like a couple of pages a day or something. The book gives you more details and allows you to let your imagination run free. Or if you are big fan of the book and the movie, then you could read the book while watching the movie and see how drastic the differences are, so everyone wins!