The Stranger by Albert Camus | Teen Ink

The Stranger by Albert Camus

December 4, 2014
By Kim Nguyen BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
Kim Nguyen BRONZE, Phoenix, Arizona
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

The Stranger by Albert Camus

This novel by Camus published in 1988, has an interesting twist on the meaning of life. Meursault demonstrates that life is meaningless and we all condemn to death; however, when you learn to accept your fate you will finally truly live the remainder of your life with happiness. “So close to death Maman must have felt free and ready to live it all again” (122, Camus).

The story is narrated by Meursault who is a normal man with a mother in a nursing home. Meursault received a telegram proclaiming her death. Although he attended her funeral, Meursault showed lack of emotions for Maman’s passing. While returning back into town, Meursault sets up a date with a former co-worker, Marie. The main character showed no remorse for Maman’s death and decided to go see a comedy on his date. When Raymond, a pal of Meursault, suspect his mistress is cheating on him, he manipulated Meursault into helping his machination to get revenge. Caught up in all of the anger and violent, Meursault shoot and killed an Arab. There the conflict arise when he is arrested and up on trial with his own life on the line.

The Stranger is an interesting book which would highly be recommended for young adults. It has an interesting plot and conflicts. The main character gives the reader and descriptive insight on his viewpoint throughout the novel.