Little Women by Louisa M. Alcott | Teen Ink

Little Women by Louisa M. Alcott

By Mia Cullen BRONZE, Phx, Arizona
Mia Cullen BRONZE, Phx, Arizona

Little Women by Louisa M. Alcott
By Mia C., Phoenix, AZ.
Although the sisters in Louisa M. Alcott’s book Little Women live a life of poverty they try to bear their burdens cheerfully. Beginning the novel is the sisters lamenting their life of poverty as they will not receive any gifts for Christmas. The sisters are soon brought back to their once their mother reads their father’s letter about how he loves them and hopes they “will do their duty faithfully” the sisters cry out that they “will truly try to be better” (page 8). To help the sisters’ mother decides to give them each a little book that will help them with the struggle between familial duty and personal growth.
Without a doubt I am able to relate most to the shy, musical Beth; however, my favorite character is Jo. Jo is the boyish, writer of the family, who despite her issues with anger will do anything to help them. The special bond between Jo and her mother created by their similar issues with anger is yet another thing I admire about her. Jo’s mother serves as her mentor while overcoming her anger.
Published in 1880 Little Women accurately depicts women’s struggle between familial duty and personal growth. Although it is a timeless book, I would not suggest it to just anyone. Little Women is written for a specific type of person, someone who is an adept reader and highly devoted to finishing their books.