Legend by Marie Lu | Teen Ink

Legend by Marie Lu

September 18, 2014
By Anonymous

 
                                            Legend
Legend is a dystopian novel written by Marie Lu it is about two fifteen year olds named Day, the world’s most wanted criminal and June, who was born into one of the wealthiest districts.  Their society was once western United States but is now controlled by a government leader. The two of them would never meet each other until one day June’s brother Metias gets killed and Day is one of the prime suspects. What will happen now?
The novel is clearly dystopian because their society is controlled by a figurehead. This book is of a perfect utopian world and the citizens lived in a dehumanized state and they don’t have the same rights as others.
Some people could argue that legend is a utopian novel. Buts it’s clearly dystopian because the society is split into districts and people in one district do not communicate with others in another. Also the society is controlled by a strong government leader and at the beginning of the story it could start out as utopian but it changes to dystopian as the story continues.
Legend is more of a dystopian than utopian because the society is controlled by a figure head, propaganda is used, and the society is also an illusion of a perfect utopians world but is also a dehumanized state.